Do I Really Need The Stewmac Router Bits?

TimS

I think I already know the answer to this, but do I really need to get the stew-mac router bits for the truss rod and CF rods, or can I get away with a 1/4" bit for the truss rod and something close for the CF?

Also, does the lmii double-action rod need a curved channel, or do all dual action rods lay in a straight channel?

You can get away with a normal 1/4" router bit for most double action rods, including the hot rod. I use a 1/4" round nose bit and use a chisel to flatten out the areas where the end blocks sit. The lmii and alliedlutherie rods both require straight channels like the hotrod, but both use a flat upper member and require a shallower route as a result.

peace,

russ

the cf rods need to be ass tight.unless you want to fill the extra space with epoxy..

the hot rod is different..this is what i do...i rout a 1/4" channel,then wrap a thin layer of cling wrap aroud the entire truss rod,then install the rod with a bit of epoxy at both of the brass nuts and glue on the fretboard.

this keeps the glue from fouling the rod at all.wierd i know...but that is what i have done on every guitar except my first,and it seems to work well.i started doing it because i was afraid of rod vibration in a loose rout...but i found the glue benifit to be a good reason as well.

ever play a guitar that has a strange vibration,especially on the "a" string?i THINK that may be caused by a slightly loose rod...though i have no proof.only that if you put your ear against the back of the neck that is where it seems to come from

something to think about,iguess..i have a feeling that overall loose tolerances inthings like truss routs and tuning keys may very well cause alot of the wierd vibrations you here through your guitar.

For what it's worth, I've always gotten plenty tight routs for truss rods with a 1/4" round nose bit and a chisel. I use cling wrap, like wes, to keep glue off of the truss rod, and I use non-silicone caulk to prevent any possible rattling(although between the tight fit and the cling wrap, this is probably overkill). I can't say, off the top of my head, what I use for cf rods though. I think lately I've been using cf tubes with a 1/4" diameter, so I could use the same bit. I may switch back to square rods or go to square tubes to save myself the trouble of making a filler strip to go over the round tubes though.

peace,

russ