Tips On Building Neck-thru Bass?

I'm going to build a non-reverse t-bird with a neck-through design, using a neck from Carvin.....

NT41.jpg

I've done lots of bolt-ons. I'm going to have to plane the body blank and the tongue of the neck to 1.5" before gluing.

Any tips or suggestions for this first neck-thru excursion? I'm really excited about going this new direction.

I'm going to build a non-reverse t-bird with a neck-through design, using a neck from Carvin.....

NT41.jpg

I've done lots of bolt-ons. I'm going to have to plane the body blank and the tongue of the neck to 1.5" before gluing.

Any tips or suggestions for this first neck-thru excursion? I'm really excited about going this new direction.

Get your bridge and figure out the neck angle(if it`s needed) before you glue the wings on.

+1 on the bridge

When you glue the wings on, you want to use a pair of nice big bar clamps, like these from Jet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/bojerik/jet70440.jpg

You'll also want to use some smaller bar clamps where the wings contact the neck blank, to make sure they are all parallel and flush at the heel and tail.

Then you have two choices with the wings depending on the size of your bandsaw. You can either glue on the rectangles of wood and then bandsaw out the body shape (if you have a big saw), or you can cut the outline of each wing in a single pass and use the offcuts as clamping cauls (you'll need to trim a little from the ends of the cauls to make sure they make good contact with the body edge).

It will also be easier to rout your control cavity with the wings off.

Edited by erikbojerik

very important...shape the wings before glueing.i mean all of the shaping and edge sanding down to 220 grit....

it is MUCH tougher with the neck glued in.

Good advice guys, thanks! I'm going to take it for sure. I've also got a line on a series of set-neck bass necks from Soulmates Guitars, so I'm considering that option too.