Slanted Bridge On Ukulele?

My friend's kids tore his cheapo POS ukulele apart... since he was going to throw it in the trash, I asked him if I could try to fix it (he really liked playing it, but knowing him, he'll never buy himself a new one, much less a real instrument).

I'm ready to glue the bridge back on, but I'm wondering-- should I slant the bridge like one would on a guitar, or should the bridge be straight? I've seen photos with both --SwedishLuthier posted a pic of his super-cool electric uke, and it looks like he put a the bridge on a slant there. But it's hard to tell.

And if it does need a slant, how much of an angle should that be (I don't have much leeway, if I want to be able to hide the repair).

I'm not sure if it'll matter at all...we're talking plastic strings...

if it didn't have a compensated bridge to begin with then i'd just glue it back where it was. i just glued the top and back on my first uke yesterday and while researching the building of ukes i didn't see any mention of slanting the bridge. a real short scale and the fact that most cords are played in the first few frets may be why it's not needed.

good luck

Mickey, the bridge on my electric ukulele is straight. It’s the photo that makes it look like its slanted. Tirapop is right about the problem with the G-string (although the guy that has this ukulele tune it A D F# :D. The Ukulele is tuned like a guitar with a capo on the fifth fret, except that the G sting is tuned one octave higher. With a slanted bridge you would end up with a G string that never play n tune.

• 15 years later...

Nylon strings are like a rubber band, it takes a whole lot of stretching even for a semitone. That's why you can't bend nylon strings and that's also (partially) why you don't need to slant the bridge.

Further, the outermost strings on a uke are the thinnest. As the slanting is done to compensate the thickness (and stiffness) of the strings you can't do it similarly to a steel stringed guitar where you intonate the E strings and slant the bridge accordingly.

Individual bridge pieces could be used but most likely the effect would be insignificant.