Hate The Hum

Joobsauce

Ok I saw this tut on getting rid of the interferiance (or hum/static, whatever)

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=27269

OK, thats all great, fine and dandy, but how would you go about doing this on a strat that has had the pickguard shaved and the holes filled in? :D

Any help appriciated. I tried serching, but nothing really came up. Maby I'm doing it wrong.

the sheilding technique will not work nd is pointless on a strat (none that i have an i have 4. 1 of which i sheilded) unlees u live or are playing near a radio transmitter or simmilar, the best thing is a good solid earth from the bridge (not the trem spring holder) direct to the ground on ur jack point or to the vol pot, i find the best way to ground a bridge is to feed the wire through the body to the backplate then back up through the bridge slot, with the copper wire exposed remove th bridg and insert the exposed end into the screw hold and then rescrew the bridge back in, other people have different methods but this wors best for me and them ones were quieter than the strat i sheilded until i re grounded it too now none of them have any buzz appart from the natural pick-up hum

Edited by BigG1986

Shielding DOES help, as a matter of fact. I'm not sure I understand why you can't do it with the guitar in question-- what is a shaved pickguard with holes filled in? :D Got a pic?

Star grounding is not meant to reduce EMI/RFI/60Hz noise. It is a method for getting rid of ground loops that are caused by the guitar's wiring (which doesn't mean your equipment can't have a ground loop, but you might as well do what you can for the guitar, too. Therefore, it is one of the most useful things you can do when rewiring your guitar. If you're not getting a ground loop there's not much point desoldering everything just to put in a star ground, but it's a great thing to add if you're already replacing pickups or doing other work. There's not one "quieter" way of grounding... you're either grounded properly (ie. no loop) or you're not. So only 2 levels, not a sliding scale*. A star ground would have helped ensure you got it grounded "properly". :D

In summary: yes, shielding IS useful (especially on a strat...!), and yes, star-grounding IS useful. Don't let an "experianced" (sic) tell you otherwise.

*In theory, though I can't claim to be a TOTAL expert, some pickup positions might introduce a loop while others might not... so to that extent, I guess it's not necessarily JUST "black or white."

I've got a homebuild with a tele neck pickup, DeArmond 2k (single) & an MXR EQ built in...the whole guitar is shielded with copper foil & I can quite comfortably sit in front of my PC & record without any hum or interference....so shielding does work with single coils. I meant to do the same with my strat but I fitted a set of Lace's & it has done the same thing.

But that's like saying, "I wouldn't buy a boat... mind you, I live in the desert. If you live near water, I guess a boat might work, but it doesn't work for me." Shielding works, and is important to at least some degree for the majority of people. That's why reviewers and knowledgable buyers always check the extent of the shielding done on guitars when they inspect them. Shielding did a world of good in my Tele-style Pacifica.

Greg

Shielding DOES help, as a matter of fact. I'm not sure I understand why you can't do it with the guitar in question-- what is a shaved pickguard with holes filled in? :D Got a pic?

guitar1ex5.jpg

Hope thats not too big.

It's a squire strat with fender pickups, customized by molson beers. John molson even signed it. :D

the best thing is a good solid earth from the bridge (not the trem spring holder) direct to the ground on ur jack point or to the vol pot, i find the best way to ground a bridge is to feed the wire through the body to the backplate then back up through the bridge slot, with the copper wire exposed remove th bridg and insert the exposed end into the screw hold and then rescrew the bridge back in,

Thanks, I'll try that. Any other idias guys?

Hrm. You could put shielding in each of those cavities, but now that I've seen the pic I have to admit, I have my doubts that it'll do much. It'll do SOMETHING, but not as much as the typical strat with pickguard + shielding. Maybe if you shielded all around the insides of the pickup covers as well, but that's starting to become an involved and picky process by then. Hard to say. Only thing it costs you to try is time and a wee bit of copper tape. :D

Greg

that looks sweet how the hell did u do that with the plate?? or is there even a plate on there???

Nope, no plate. I'm guessing they just mounted the pickups in the guitar. I didnt make it, just bought it like this. It was only like 200usd so I'm happy. :D

on a strat that has had the pickguard shaved and the holes filled in? :D

so i doesnt have guard so all the acceses is on back of the guitar LP style right??

if so it should be pretty straight foward to do what u wnt just do it as if it was an LP

This confuses me sumwhat, sorry if im wrong