Bad At The Floyd-rose Game.

loach

hello. Ive got a jackson KVX10, that i snapped a string on yesterday for the first time since i bought it. When i bought it the store owner told me the string guage was .10's, but when i went to restring with .10's the string tension was completely overpowering the spring tension in the back, so i think he made a mistake and they may have been .09 guage strings. So getting desperate to play guitar i tried tightening the spring tension with the screws. I got more and more frustrated as i couldnt get the floyd to sit parallel. So my dad gave it a go, and i guess while its parallel, my worry is that one of the screws (the one on the treble side) is tightened almost all the way in, and the other is quite far out. Is this normal? Is it hurting my baby? :D Ive posted a pic so hopefully you guys know more than i do =]

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5501/backfloyd1gg3.jpg

(sorry i dont know how to imbed the photo into the post :D , and sorry i suck at taking photos)

cheers in advance for any help B):D

Edited by loach

they should really be tightened evenly.

look...you need to make sure you have it to the right tuning still...floyds are a bit tricky,it is about having the string gauge,tuning,and spring tension all working together at the same time.

look on the main site(projectguitar.com)and follow the set up tutorial...i believe it shows how to properly set up a floyd

Yeah, it takes a while to get used to, but you need to find the right balance of pull on either side of the trem. This is why when I change strings on a floyd I remove one and replace it 6 times instead of taking them all off and doing the floyd dance for an hour and a half.

ahh i musta missed the tutorial... sorry :D

and yeah i prolly shoulda just dont it once at a time... but i felt like the bridge could use a bit of a clean ;P bad mistake.

EDIT : Ok so i went back with renewed patience and had another crack at it. It's easier to do than i thought. The accidental string gauge change from 0.09's to 0.10's will be good when im done because i usually play with .10's.

Ahh happy times. Thanks guys :D

Edited by loach

Heres a free bit of advice regarding floyds... dont use them! :D

actually, in all seriousness, Floyds are a NIGHTMARE to maintain. I find it easier to put the strings in backwards (so the ball end is at the tuner end) it saves a lot of messing about cutting the ball ends off the strings before you clamp them into the saddles. Just string up, tune up, then cut off the excess string with the ball end attached. Im sure this is common practice for most people, but someone out there may not know this one :D

you still have to cut the roundwound ones as the winding does not extend as far as the core.

i don't find it very much tougher than a fixed bridge to change strings on..i just use the same gauge strings every time,and the same tuning(D)but changing gauges is not difficult either...

changing strings on a fixed bridge = 15 minutes fro start to tuned

floyd= 30 minutes...snipping balls takes up half the extra...

Yeah, I forgot about roundwound strings having the core exposed. my bad! Dont forget that you often need to retune the floyd 2 or 3 times due to string streaching. I like to tune them up half a turn over pitch overnight, then detune and retune again before clamping the nut. Sometimes you find the nut is actually cut to low as well, and clamping them will change the pitch slightly anyway.

I find Floyds are just too cumbersome. Unless you are dive bombing and pulling up vigorously while soloing in every song, I dont think the cost and sacrifices of a floyd are worthwhile.

just my 2 cents worth, and thats worth about 0.95 of a penny here in the uk :D

Yeah, thanks for more tips guys, i did put them on ball end through the headstock, and then you use the fine-tuners location as a guide for cutting the rest of the strings off. I saw a video on youtube a few months back that was just fantastic for floyd rose setting up, unfortunately for me youtube was down when i needed to restring, hence my question here =]

Oh, and only 2 or 3 times?! I had to tune it about 20 :D

I sort of knew what i was doing just restringing it, but the change in gauges threw me off and i got worried :D Unfortunately they dont make the KVX10 in string through anymore, so i got one with a floyd, but also the wood and electronics are also better quality than the older models with string through bodies.

I don't find Floyds cumbersome at all. If you have a good system, and you set it up, properly, you shouldn't have many issues. Notice I said a good system, as I've also had licensed systems that were crap, like the Ibanez LO TRS II, which is known for it's faults. Hell, I installed a Mighty Mite licensed Floyd on my latest project, and love it. Hasn't gone out of tune, once, so I bought one for my next project, too.