Line 5 Spider

BigG1986

i have a line 6 spider 212 amp, and one of the channels in it has stoped workin thus stoppin the ping-pong effect delay etc what is the most likely problem an can it be home-fixed as i really cant afford a shop repair but i get on quite well with electronics etc an gettin the parts will be no problem, thanks for any help

<b> Sorry i know it says line 5 it was a mistake it was as u guessed it ment to say LINE 6

Edited by BigG1986

I think crafty got it dead on man!! I know that the Older Line 6 amps had this Problem alot of places stoped selling them because of it I think it has something to do with High Volume. My Line spider 6 is still my Fav amp, Ive had it for around 4 Years with no problems I run it at Low Volume most of the time

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Most likely the selector switch has gone bad and it may not be trigggering the patch change command, but it could be anything with those processor-based amps.

its not just the ping pong delay its in general the whole channel has blow, so can this be fixed or am i lookin at buyin a new amp??

i found loads on the line 6 forums but mostly they were about the channel cutin in and out this is a complete channel blow out, there is no siganl comin from the channel at all in any mode, but com to mention it it did crackle a bit just before it blew an cut on and off till it completely died, again is this fixable ???or is it new amp time

It can probably be fixed, but you're going to have to find an authorized service center unless you have a schematic, VOM, and a digital logic probe.

do u know how i can find these service centres in the uk i can seem to naagate round the L6 site loads of dead links on it!!! (another line6 let down to think i have always sung there praises)

well im gonna have a pop at it maself first, i cant make it any worse, if there isn't a service centre near me i'll take it to the local collage electrical department an hope one of ma mates can have a better look with the equipment there, i'll let u all know how i get on later with it, if i dont shock maself or summit lol!!

i just has a though when i'm playin with headphones on both cahnnels are fine so(and im not sure) that must mean that the processer is gettin the signal etc so it must be in the actuall amp circuit just before it goes out to that channel im hoping that it will be a diode or a fuse or sumthing dead simple seein as im sure that the procesor etc is all working properly it cant be that difficult to fix surely

its the right channel its a stereo amp and one speaker out isnt workin all the amp mods work fine etc, i mabye should have explained it better. The entire amp works just fine except for the right speaker which has packed up its no the speaker its-self but the out put , thats a bit more accurate, sorry guys

got the little bugger it think it is this

http://www.futurlec.com/Linear/LM3886T.shtml

it was badly soldered onto the board and the inner legs were broke and the pins werent touchin, this would explain the crckeling before complete silenvce from the line, so down to maplin tommorow to try an get one either tha its an order of ebay, so if anyone has the crackele problem check this and if one channel is dead then replace this bit it costa around £2:50 on ebaythanks for al the input guys i will repost later on here to let you all know how it went after then new part was installed

i would say its the power stage, personally and its easy to check i fyou are running stereo. but if its the preamp itself, i would probally suggest fubar

got the little bugger it think it is this

http://www.futurlec.com/Linear/LM3886T.shtml

it was badly soldered onto the board and the inner legs were broke and the pins werent touchin, this would explain the crckeling before complete silenvce from the line, so down to maplin tommorow to try an get one either tha its an order of ebay, so if anyone has the crackele problem check this and if one channel is dead then replace this bit it costa around £2:50 on ebaythanks for al the input guys i will repost later on here to let you all know how it went after then new part was installed

Good find! Watch the heat on that part when you solder it back in. Once you mentioned it was a stereo amp and the right channel wasn't working, I figured the finals were blown. Nice of Line 6 to use a cheap chip amp like the 3886. Stuff like that is notorious for breaking pins because of thermal-mechanical stress.

Edited by crafty

I feel like a genius lol!!! the weird thing is the iner legs have completely snapped off, anyway gettin ma replacement tommorw Hopefully if they have it in stock if not as i say an ebay job so that'll be another day outta action which i really cant afford coz i have a big gig on tuesday night, if i order the ebay part it will arive on tues morning hopefully if not im screwed an am on the scrounge among mates for stomp boxes and a big amp, i may get a few if they are notorious for it that way there to hand, now heres the biggie is there a chip amp that would be like an upgrade that i coulde use instead to sort of soup up the beast, "as a 20yr male its all about horsepower, and more watts"

Yeah, there are higher-wattage linear amps out there, but I'd be hesitant to start playing with 'em if this is the only amp you're depending on for the bread. You'll also have to figure out how to COOL the beast because the higher-wattage amps do run a lot hotter.

well it has a cooling radiator fins etc that its mounted to so im thinkin of makein up a little 12v transformer and running sum pc caseing fans attached to the fins this should work. anyway i ordered the 3886 today and have to pick it up from the electrical wholesalers tomor so the gig is saved phew!!!

thanks to all for their help especially Crafty, thins forum has givin me the confidence to actually open up things and have a go instead of payin for repair Thanks Guys :D

Edit: Can any1 recomend a higher-wattage liner amp that i can put in to replace th 3886tf

Edited by BigG1986