Ebay Special Violin

Curtis P

Well, i have been learning to play violin a little bit, probaly bout on and off for a month now, but it is very, very hard to learn the violin without my own, and the guy that has one that is teaching me a little bit does not want me borrowing it and he lives about 20 miles away from me, so it makes it hard to learn.

I have found an Ebay Special, 4/4 full size, with bow and case, no rosin, its pretty old, but the guy gaurentees it to be 100% fine and dandy.

So, a few questions first, since i dont really know alot about violins:

The make and model is: Antonius Stradivarius Cremonenfis Faciebat Anno 17

it also says that the bridge is a bit lower so it is more of a fiddle then a violin, is this a good or bad point on this insturment?

Specs of the insturment:

Spruce top

Maple (slight flame) sides and back and neck

purfling (painted)

Like i said, I am just beginning to learn this insturment, it is alot ALOT harder then guitar, so i do not want to spend a fortune, but i also do not want to have a peice of crap as a first violin/fiddle because it will not only be difficult and frustrating to learn on a peice of crap, it will also not be enjoyable and probaly sound bad.

So, maintanece on a violin/fiddle, same as a guitar? i just keep my guitar clean, in tune, always in a case or stand, depending on what i am doing, and i always have a reputable shop set it up after the winter (not that i cant do it myself, i would just rather have a proffesional do it for the 25 bucks)

I would assume that you would have to do something with the bow, i know you have to rosin it up, but i dont know when, all the time, every so often?

is it advisable to have a violin set in a stand, or just in its case all the time?

Thanks for your time, i would appreciate quick responses as the auction ends in 6 days

Thanks!!!!

Curtis

A little bit more care is necessary for violins. Guitars are actually pretty durable, but violins are fragile. They need cleaned frequently, and the bow needs rosin. Some have replaceable bridges so you might want to do that if it is in bad shape. They are not as technical as guitars are though. :D Also, the tuning pegs on some violins are loose and won't stay tuned so you can buy a wax-type substance to rub on it to hold it in place better. I'm not an expert on violins, but I hope this helps a little.

Also, I agree that violins are a lot harder than guitars. I love ALL musical instruments and try to learn as many as I can, but I never could understand the violin. Guitars are easier- hooray for frets! :D Anyway, congrats for learning a cool instrument and good luck getting a nice one.

Thank you for the reply, advice well taken in :D

After doing some extensive research, i came up with a beginners site for violinists

www.violinonline.com

Also, just so you know, i got in contact with the seller of the first violin i was looking at, and after inspecting some close up pictures, i have noticed a few flaws, including a cracked chin rest and something funky with the scroll, so I have decided against that one, and have found another one,

Violin.jpg

Very very sexy indeed :D

For the Violin, case, bow, and Rosin will be pretty close to 75 dollars canadian shipped to my door, not too bad for a beginner if i do say so myself.

3 days left on the auction, just got to make sure no one out bids me, lol

Curtis

Edit, almost forgot to include the specs

Completely Hand-Made Violin

Solid Spruce Top, and Solid Maple Back

Ebonized Fingerboard with ebonized accessories

Dark Brown finishing

Brazilwood Bow with Mongolian Horse Hair

I'm a cellist, but a few years ago, I bought a violin on ebay for 14 bucks and I think 15 bucks shipping, and it is actually pretty good. Ebony fingerboard and pegs, the body, supposedly spruce and maple, was really resonante and loud. It was probably the best 30 bucks I've ever spent.