5 String Electric Violin

Hi All,

5 string electric violin made using guitar techniques finally finished. Pics here http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1815188

Its full of flaws and really needs taken down and given one more sand with 2000 grit and a final coat of poly, then machine polished. But i'm fairly proud of it, and it sounds cool in acoustic mode and through M Audio black box.

Sycamore body with a few fine coats of Shellac then loads of coats of poly, hand applied using a kind of french polishing technique. Maple neck with 3 coats Shellac. Ashworth electronics piezo transducer bridge. Passive output to mono jack.

Thanks to all who gave advice and especially Drak for helping me calm down before Christmas when I was panicking that my son would have no present because it wasn't finished!!!! I mocked it up for xmas day.

Now for the next project.!!!!!!!

Dave Gilmour tribute Candy Apple Red 57 Reissue Partscaster, with EMG DG20 pups setup or Bare knuckle Apaches, and LR Baggs X Bridge (if I can figure out how to wire it to a Fender S1 pot).

John

• 2 months later...
Hi All,

5 string electric violin made using guitar techniques finally finished. Pics here http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1815188

Its full of flaws and really needs taken down and given one more sand with 2000 grit and a final coat of poly, then machine polished. But i'm fairly proud of it, and it sounds cool in acoustic mode and through M Audio black box.

Sycamore body with a few fine coats of Shellac then loads of coats of poly, hand applied using a kind of french polishing technique. Maple neck with 3 coats Shellac. Ashworth electronics piezo transducer bridge. Passive output to mono jack.

Thanks to all who gave advice and especially Drak for helping me calm down before Christmas when I was panicking that my son would have no present because it wasn't finished!!!! I mocked it up for xmas day.

Now for the next project.!!!!!!!

Dave Gilmour tribute Candy Apple Red 57 Reissue Partscaster, with EMG DG20 pups setup or Bare knuckle Apaches, and LR Baggs X Bridge (if I can figure out how to wire it to a Fender S1 pot).

John

i like the way it looks how does it sound is it full or thin ?? i thought about make a violin from a lmii kit but i like ur idea better

Very cool!

I'm no violinist so please feel free to smack me down...but if you removed the horn on the treble side, wouldn't that improve the upper register access? Or would it throw off a bunch of other stuff?

Yes it would improve access. But that horn is what violinists orient themselves with. Think of it as a landmark. There are no frets, so you have to know where you are.