Some Advice Needed....

JET240Z

I got the Dean FireCrackle back from the local music store where I had it inspeceted for any serious damage. They gave it a clean bill of health and even managed to get the neck single coil to work. :D

My question is: Should I start the modification process??? An how much should I spend???

Stage 1: replace the fake Kahler with a 7300 Kahler and new locking nut= 240(plus tax)

Stage 2: replace sucky pickups with EMGz (81, S, S)combo= 230(plus tax)

There goes 500$ into my 107$ guitar.

I like the guitar a lot, its crazy. I just want to know if it'll be worth it. :D

Your opinions are much appreciated.

The "will it be worth it" comes down to a few very very basic things, IMHO:

1. Is the neck any good (including fretwork unless you have definite plans for a refret)

2. Despite any description of the wood (10-part pine plywood with an MDF core... :D ) does it sound good to you, even before a pickup change? Ie. does it have the sustain and resonance you're looking for?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes" then I don't see why not to go for it. Part of the cool thing about being a guitar "modder" and able to do your own electronics, etc., is that if time proves your guitar to be a POS after all, those EMG's can still be transplanted into the next guitar you deem worthy. Not a waste! :D Ditto for the Kahler.

Greg

oh...by the way...the mod will be worth it.putting that new hardware and electronics in will make it a very nice sounding guitar,most likely....and if you decide you don't like it later on....well...like was already said,you have great hardware to build one from scratch with..

i can't see your pics...is it a strat or something else?te strat is the one i was in love with

I was thinking of swithcing out the tuners and nut for black too :D

plus black EMGz :D

By the way heres a link to my Strat

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9360/dsc009059co.jpg

I love my Strat.... B)

Edited by JET240Z

I got a question. How hard is it too route a spot for the EMGz's battery compartment?

This my first mod. :D Do we have any turorials on that and/or soldering???