What Pot Configuration Would You Use...

MichiganBoySB

Pic of the guitar is here -----v

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...tarVpics013.jpg

I recently refinished this guitar... came out nice. It standarly comes with (2) 500k volumes; one for each pickup and one tone control for both pickups. Now I'm considering going with 1meg volume pots to brighten it up a bit along with a blender pot for the tone control. I never used the tone control before because it didnt seem to have enough treble even when dialed to 10. Whatcha thing guys?

Ken

Edited by MichiganBoySB

That's the spirit of adventure!

If you hadn't heard the instrument prior and therefore had no frame of reference, I'd make a recommendation of some crazy setup but hey - you've got the opportunity to try new things. If this setup doesn't work for you, then you'll suddenly have two frames of reference :-D

What pickups are you using? I presume standard as the day it was born.

That's the spirit of adventure!

If you hadn't heard the instrument prior and therefore had no frame of reference, I'd make a recommendation of some crazy setup but hey - you've got the opportunity to try new things. If this setup doesn't work for you, then you'll suddenly have two frames of reference :-D

What pickups are you using? I presume standard as the day it was born.

Well not the standard ones, just these Kent Armstrongs that were thrown in there from this guitar shop. I'm just going to go with these for the time being. But my local luthier and I agreed to go with one volume for each pickup and the TBX control cuz I don't necessarily want to part with the 3 way selector switch. Oh and also I played the hell out of this thing years ago... I do have a frame of reference, basically was always whining about needing more treble! Alright I'll let you know my opinion about it in a few days.

Ken

Well alright I placed an order for (2) 1meg volume pots, (1) TBX pot and (1) blender. I'll find out for myself I guess.

since you already ordered the parts, i won't bother to make any recommendations.

after you wire this up, post a diagram and let us know how you like it.

i'll predict the tone control's effect will be much greater when the volume controls are reduced.

i'm confused on why you would have a blend pot and 2 volume controls.

how do you plan to use the blender?

I was kind of wondering that myself, but use is a very subjective thing of course. If the configuration doesn't suit Ken's V then at least Ken has the benefit of having learned more about the bounds of the instrument.

Also - Ken - when you say Gibson Heritage, do you mean it's a modern replica of a '58? If they're "modern" pickups, then you might find that you get more mileage out of trying different pickup models instead. It's possible you have "dark sounding" pickups in there, rather than pickups which are being strangled by the electronics.

Sorry, wish I could edit that text to say more what I mean but my wife is pressuring me to jump into bed. Sorry man. In the meantime, give us a quick lowdown on the style you play, amps and effects etc. and we might be able to give you a better view on what the weakest link in the chain is.

I was kind of wondering that myself, but use is a very subjective thing of course. If the configuration doesn't suit Ken's V then at least Ken has the benefit of having learned more about the bounds of the instrument.

If I were to use the blender I'd do away with the 3 selector switch but come to think about it ... you're right it don't make sense to have 2 volumes. But we've decided to go with the TBX tone control instead, I'll fiddle with the blender some other time.

Also - Ken - when you say Gibson Heritage, do you mean it's a modern replica of a '58? If they're "modern" pickups, then you might find that you get more mileage out of trying different pickup models instead. It's possible you have "dark sounding" pickups in there, rather than pickups which are being strangled by the electronics.

1983 3rd reissue... with modern pickups yes... I've tried many, many different kinds of pickups. From X2N's to very mild ones. But haven't learned or experienced the difference between various pot values. I do feel I got a handle on this though.

Sorry, wish I could edit that text to say more what I mean but my wife is pressuring me to jump into bed. Sorry man. In the meantime, give us a quick lowdown on the style you play, amps and effects etc. and we might be able to give you a better view on what the weakest link in the chain is.

Thought I posted pic of my gear... here it is:

KensPics006.jpg

I'm totally into the heaviness of a man who goes by the name of Buckethead, incredible shiznit!

Or you could always take the easy way out and work a graphic EQ pedal into your setup. You can even get the boss one that has memory settings for your different guitars.

[/quote

Today I recieved the TBX,blender and volume pot. Tomorrow the pickgaurd comes. I ordered more copper today sheeesh! didn't get enough. I may go with just one master volume, blender pot and TBX in the tone spot. I will be fitting in some equilizer along with the sonic maximizer.

Ken