Buffing Pick Swirls And Scratches

vwall

Hey everyone!

I need a little help on buffing or polishing.

I will occasionally get a guitar that's scratched up or has tons of pick swirling and hazing.

Barring a wet sanding- I am not sure how to get these out.??

I have the over priced stew mac compounds #3 and #4

but that doesn't work with my cordless drill and foam buffing pad from stew mac.

What am I missing and what can I do to fix these problems?

Do I need a stronger drill motor?

Do I need a big buffing wheel like the manufactures use?

Should I be using different compounds or???

a start to finish would be great!

Help please.....

probably a poly finish....takes alot of buffing to remove that...i did it ince on a poly finish with the 3m auto compounds you get at wal mart....rough cut,medium cut,and fine cut.....i did it by hand...it took a LONG time

i think in your business,scott,you might find a buffing wheel very handy,i have not used one though...i just hear that is the way to go on poly

Yeah, I'd love to afford one but cant justify it.

I mean, i dont do finish work. All my paint gets subbed out.

And its not cost effective to do this by hand most of the time its a free to low charge item to buff out swirls...

No ONE else has any tips or experience they'd like to throw my way???

If the current material isn't working then you probably have to go one or two steps coarser and then bring it back to fine and clear. It IS a lot of work. I wetsand up to 2500 and then use Meguiar's Deep crystal polish. So long as I got everything along the way I usually wind up with a pretty good finish. But nothing lasts. Its good for making a guitar look nice so you can get it out the door but those marks will eventually come back after a few playing sessions. No way around it, unless you leave it in the case.