Help With My Strat

ripsrv

my strat has mad fret buzz and it comes out of tunes every time i give it a dirty look. the frets are a bit flat on top. the guitar is pushin 10 years old and i play it alot. what can i do to get rid of the buzz, and help it stay in tune? i checked the intunation on the guitar and got it as close as i feel i can get it. when i pic a string...it will go in and out of tune....its wierd. i dont no what to do about it. thanks for any advice u can offer!

Could be a number of things. Have you checked the neck for adjustment? (sometimes its the weather) Are the tuners slipping? I'm sure you're winding the strings right as you have been using it for 10 years. Do the frets need dressing? How about the springs and adjustment on the trem/bridge? If the springs are too weak and/or the screws holding the bridge down a bit too loose or the trem is set too high, that can cause problems. I'm sure the more experienced members can give you a lot more tips. Good luck with it.

Have the problem happened over night? A little more info there might help

First: Are the strings new? The first thing to do is to change strings. Have this happened on several sets of string or only this one. Strings can go bad, but they can also be bad from the start. I have had faulty string fresh out of the package. You also have to have fresh string when intonating. If you intonated with old strings you have to do it again with new ones.

There are a bunch of things you can do to look for the problem. Start with checking the relief (how straight the neck is). Use a capo on fret one and push down the string at the last fret. Look in the middle of the neck and look at the frets in the middle of the neck. There should be a tiny, tiny bit of distance there. Some prefer a dead straight neck but “most” people like a little bit of relief. Over the year a neck moves and might form a back bow. This is corrected with the trussrod. Also heavy strings need more relief and lighter need less.

If you have flat areas on top of some frets and not all that is your next focus area. Especially if say the first five frets are heavily worn and the rest are in pretty good shape. Then the string will touch the first fret up from the one you are fretting and that might also cause the problem you are describing. Then you will have to take the guitar to a tech or make the decision to do it yourself. If your choice is the last one there are tutorials if you do a search.

Did I get you right when I understood that the bridge is held firmly against the body? Then old tremolo springs can be ruled out.

There are a lot of other stuff to check but you might consider reading up on set-ups.

More info on

relief:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0670.html

truss rod adjustments (for their own trussrod, but you will get the picture):

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0975.html

General setup ( with their neck jig but again…)

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-5252.html

And the list goes on…

thank abuch for the help guys. yes the bridge is frim against the body. the frets thatare worn the most are between 12-22. and mostly on the higher(uncoiled) half of the neck. i spend alot of time in there. it has happend threw a couple of sets of strings now. i didnt want to take it in, i want to try to figure it out and fix it myself....im stuborn but more impotanty i just wanna learn how. might have to if i cant get to the bottem of it. ill read those links and see if i can come get it squared away, thanks abuch

christ on high the neck was way out! i read up on the main page here and stewart mac, busted out the old feeler gauges and unstead of eyballing it lile i usually do everything, (and at that it was been quite a while) and the neck had a very larg amount of relife in it. this confused me, i thought if anything that would help eliminate fret buzz. so anyway, i brought the neck back to were it should be and i put the action down to were it should be...it was a bit high. and now... it buzzes alot more hahahh. it is alot easier to play but it buzzes everywere! can u file the frets so they are not flat anymore, and then polish them up with sand paper? would that help any.

As far as fret buzz goes if it has quite a bit of fret wear it would pay to relevel and profile the frets so they are all level.

Then you should be able to get a nice low action. As far as going out of tune, every electric I have played goes out of tune especially if there is a temperature change. I often find a guitar is sharp first thing in the morning and as the temperature warms up then it goes flat. I guess this is due to contraction and expansion of the strings.

As far as fret buzz goes if it has quite a bit of fret wear it would pay to relevel and profile the frets so they are all level.

Then you should be able to get a nice low action. As far as going out of tune, every electric I have played goes out of tune especially if there is a temperature change. I often find a guitar is sharp first thing in the morning and as the temperature warms up then it goes flat. I guess this is due to contraction and expansion of the strings.

i have done alot of searchin aornud here, but i cant find anything helpful on how one would level and profile (i assume that is the same as crowning) frets. any links...tips... anything to point me into the right direction.

i think the tune problem had to do with the high action, the nasty bowi had in the neck, and i intunated my guitar last time when the strings were not brand new, a combination of those probly had something to do with it. thanks for the help so far guys!

bump

Maybe you can post a pic of the upper frets? I don't know if it's possible to tell if they're so worn that they're a problem, but it's worth a try.

I had a similar problem on the tele project I just finished --turned out that the heel was riding up too high in the pocket (the heel itself isn't flat and there was a tiny ridge at the back of the pocket that I hadn't caught). Once I adjusted for all that the guitar set up perfectly.

Have you tried putting a small shim at the front (neck side) of the pocket to see if the problem goes away?