Finishing A Body (natural Colour)

skimasks

its a matter of personal preference, if you're a fan of the everlasting eternaly shiney guitar then either a polyurethane (2 part) or automotive acrylic would do nicely. If you want somthing thats gonna wear with age crack a bit n yellow like buggery then nitro is the go. with tung oil it is possible to create a glass like finish, but i have only ever used it when i want the pores of the grain to come through. I like the feel of it, but i also like the feel of nitro on a neck

all up to you dude

take it easy

luke

oh make sure you use polymerised tung oil :D

...l.ike Tru-oil, which was designed for gunstock finishing....there are plenty of threads on here referring to Tru-oil finishing. I believe the consensus is to whang on as much as the wood will take (LOTS!) for the first coat and after that, thin coats. Usual tack rag prep applies etc....

Sorry to paraphrase your post Stiggz man!

I just came across this page that summarizes a bunch of different finishing techniques and approaches - http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/finishing.htm. It looks like a very handy reference in addition to the various threads seen throughout Project Guitar forum.

Regards,

Rob