My Thinline Project Stained.....

bscur

Top looks great.What is the back made out of.When it comes to spraying there are a huge number of variables.Is your gun HVLP or High pressure?Are you running filters and water seperaters.Setting up any gun to spray isn't all that hard but getting it to work well is a true challenge.If you can get it right you will never go back to rattle cans.Practice a ton before you lay a coat on that nice looking top.Good luck.Can't wait to see it done!!!

Thanks for the kind words. The guitar is normal thickness for a tele, but the perspective is a bit odd in the pic. The body is alder (and the back is a burst of black on a brown stain) and the top is maple. It is chambered on both sides and quite light. I have a jamb (I think that's the spelling) gun that I got as a gift and am going to use when my Stew Mac lacquer gets delivered in thhe next day or so. The thin part by the neck cavity is pretty much a mistake in routing out the body shape. When I did the neck pocket there was the peninsula left over. I still have quite a bit to learn. When you guys spray, how long can the lacquer stay in the gun? Does it have to be cleaned out after each coat? Each day? Couple days?

Thanks again

Thanks for the kind words. The guitar is normal thickness for a tele, but the perspective is a bit odd in the pic. The body is alder (and the back is a burst of black on a brown stain) and the top is maple. It is chambered on both sides and quite light. I have a jamb (I think that's the spelling) gun that I got as a gift and am going to use when my Stew Mac lacquer gets delivered in thhe next day or so. The thin part by the neck cavity is pretty much a mistake in routing out the body shape. When I did the neck pocket there was the peninsula left over. I still have quite a bit to learn. When you guys spray, how long can the lacquer stay in the gun? Does it have to be cleaned out after each coat? Each day? Couple days?

Thanks again

I keep and extra cup for running raw thinner through the gun after each day of use. The laquer can sit in the cup for several days provided you put the gun back on the cup and shove a tooth pick in the air bleed hole in the top of the cup.

But you said you are using a jam gun and those don't hold much laquer so if I were you I'd clean cup and gun every day.

As others have said that top looks killer.

• 1 month later...