Mountain Ash

Duane

Has anyone ever used mountain ash at all for any projects? I found a fairly large mountain ash tree in the bush, cut it down and sawed it up. The colors are amazing, a dark heart with white sapwood. I turned a few bowls with it, it really rivals some of the more exotic woods in beauty and it's available literally everywhere in Canada...well snowy northern Canada for sure. I will include some pics some of the wood. I just wonder if it's ever been used for anything involving instruments. Here's a link that shows a pic, not the best sample.

http://www.lotzdollpages.com/lhitorg.html

Just an FYI, mountain ash is not related to the ashes used in guitar building like black ash (aka swamp ash) etc. American Mtn. Ash and Showy Mtn. Ash are the only species that actually make it to "tree" size. They say the wood is moderately light, low in strength, with pale brown heartwood and nearly white sapwood. It is of no commercial value. They are more related to plum, crabapple and service berry. Most of that sort of wood grows pretty gnarly and while curing can split and contort in weird directions. But if you've found large enough wood for a guitar may as well give it a whirl and tell us how it works out! :D After all, wood is wood, and if its cut right and stabilized, that is, cured so there is no more internal stresses, there is no reason why you can't use it.

Edited by Southpa

I realize it's not of the "ash" family.....I think I read it was in the rose family, but I could be wrong on that one. Finding a straight, big one was pretty lucky....the wood is beautiful in real life, pics never translate at all do they?

Yeah, wood is wood, when its all cut up, sorta like meat :D , but you don't know what animal its from half the time. How long ago was this wood cut? They say Mtn. Ash is pretty sappy and I would think it would take a couple years to cure before you could use it. Thats the usual course for freshly cut wood other than kiln drying.

Btw, is the big goose still out front?

I turned a few bowls with it, it really rivals some of the more exotic woods in beauty

Would you mind posting a couple of your turnings? That kind of stuff seems to show off the beauty of woods in a way guitars and other mostly flat things can't.