Technique For Removing Nut?

I am thinking of upgrading the plastic saddle and nut on my guitar to bone. No reason..except I want to. What I need to know, is what approach and tools to use to remove the existing nut so I don't damage the guitar, and any advice on attaching and slotting the bone replacement nut. Also, if I do replace the nut, it seems to be a time to possibly adjust intonation as well. I have found very little on adjusting intonantion on an acoustic guitar. Any chance I can get pointed to a good explanation of the process and approach? Thanks

Thanks everyone. If the guitar was built correctly ...sound as though the nut should come off w/o too much effort or worry. As far as the bone replacement...I am planning to make one either from stock I have from knife handle projects or I will just buy some one of the blanks offered. For the saddle I just plan to copy the dimensions of the one that is there now, unless I find some information on how to alter it to adjust for intonantion. I have seen some of the Tusq type synthetic saddles that seem to have some type of shelf ot flat area across a couple strings, but I really don't understand the purpose or why just the two strings?

As far as the nut, is there a technique or process I can follow to properly slot it or adjust it for intonation? W/O any other information, like the saddle, I was just planning to get out the calipers and and make as close a copy of what is there now as I can.

Most nuts are not adjusted for compensation at all but you can do that if you want, heres a link detailing that.

http://www.mimf.com/nutcomp/

personally i would just copy what you have, especially since you hant made a nut before.

heres is an article from frank ford on makign a new nut and setting nut height:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Te...ut/newnut1.html

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Te...Nut/setnut.html

Hello to All, newbie here.... First off, this is a very informative site, i'm glad i stumbled into it...... I've been trying to learn all i can about setting up my own acoustics, and it looks like i'm off to a good start here....

I was just about to post a nut question when i saw this thread....... Anyway, my question is, how low can i get the nut's height to be without getting any string buzz on open strings? Is there a hard and fast rule to doing this? I was setting up a Yamaha FG 150, and i lowered the bridge because it was too high.... i also compensated the bridge..... now, i kept the guitar's original nut for the time being because i ran out of blanks.... I have noticed that the guitar developed a slight buzz on the G string (this is an unwound G, I think a 0.017)...... So, i think i will have to replace the nut......

Hope someone can straighten me out.....

Chum

Basically you can imagine the nut as another fret. The lowest you can bring the slots is the exact same height as the frets. Any lower and it will buzz, any higher and it will have high action and play out of tune.

A way you can check is hold down the string after the second fret and check the gap between the bottom of the string and the first fret. There should be a very small gap, around the thickness of a thick piece of paper. If it touches the fret it is too low, and if there is a big gap it is too high.

I would suggest first putting a capo on the first fret and setting everything up on the guitar such as truss rod and bridge height (this takes the nut out of the equation). Than you take off the capo and setup the nut.