How To Gain Inner Peace In Luthery

So, although I usually don't condone this, and was skeptical about doing it, I went ahead last night and did it, and was surprisingly happy with how it made me feel! It felt GREAT to rid myself of these guitars that mocked me and were forever staring at me in my shop, annoying me. So here's how to gain some inner peace from those guitars that just don't quite live up to what they should have:

Before:

MeuXL.jpgpickupsrouted.jpg

Not all three, just the two (excluding the Mustang one, that's one's done and playing nicely (see previous GOTM))

After:

03.jpg01.jpg

You can go see all 18 pictures here if ya want. Most are of the spalt top though, for some reason in the party's drunken revelry there weren't many pictures taken of the Mahogany/rosewood one burning... or the after math (all that's left in the fire pit is the truss-rods hahahahahah).

Chris

Trust me, you wouldn't have wanted them. The mahogany one probalby would have NEVER worked right cause that was building before I found PG, didn't own a book cause you couldn't really get them in Singapore lol... so I just went by what my shop teacher said, and he didn't know about guitars, just wood... and yeah, let's just say that didn't work out. As for the other one... the maple/purpleheart/limba one... it's neck was too narrow due to a STUPID mistake, the headstock was UGLY, (ended up having a rounded top because of it getting hit and crack part (ie: not the headstock pictured)), and other various uglinesses to it. It never owuld have been a NCIE guitar. Sure it would have played... but just not worth it.

Chris

Nice work Chris! You can now breathe easy.

I don't understand why people want rejected guitars instead of sending them on. And taking them off from Chris' hands is not doing him a favor. These are not what he wants to represent his work so why should we disagree? Chris is the artist here and he chose their final expression. So in my opinion this is not a waste at all. In fact not burning them is a huge waste of time. You get drawn into thinking about them far too often only to come to the same conclusions over and over again. It does feel good to finally make a decision about projects like this, doesn't it? I think it is some great performance art and really sends them off in style!

Now you can get on with bigger and better projects.

~David