Thinking About Getting A Laney Vh100r

Thoughtless 7

Has anyone got one of these? If so what are they like for Rock/Metal? Also, i was looking at the Harley Benton 2x12/4x12 cabs. I know these are really cheap, but i've heard good things about them, can anyone fill be in on what they are like?

I have the 2x12, just got it a couple of weeks ago. It was really cheap, and I thought I needed it. The sound is fine--seems to lean more toward a Fenderish tone, if you ask me. Certainly for the price, it sounds great. I used it with my Laney VC15, and it's a big improvement over the Laney's stock speaker.

On the other hand, the construction is really cheap--it's covered in what looks like paper with an imitation tolex motif, and that's just glued on. So you know that the first bump it gets is going to tear right through that. They also sealed the back with the paper, so you can't just open it up, if you wanted to. So if you want a truly roadworthy cab, then this isn't it.

It's also huge...it'd look pretty impressive with a head (and yeah, it matches the Laney design really well).

But shortly after I bought a Vox AC15, and I much prefer that. I haven't tried the Vox through the cab yet, I'll get around to it one day. Otherwise, I haven't used the cab all that much, it's just sitting there for the time being.

They are really cheap over here too. I know one other person who has one and he seems to like it a lot. I'm not going to be getting the Laney for a couple of months so by then i might of changed my mind about the cab and laney. How heavy is it?

I think the shipping weight was something close to 30 kilos. It's not so heavy that you couldn't carry it yourself, assuming you're not one of those ultra-skinny wasted Brit guitarist types :D

If you know anyone driving to France, I'd sell you mine, I paid 110 euros for it, it probably costs you more in the UK?

I think the cheapest i've seen them for here is about £100ish, but i don't know anyone who is going to france, although my girlfriend lives in the south and i think i day return to France is something like £10. Where abouts in France are you?

I'm near La Rochelle/Poitiers. I have a friend who drives back to the UK from time to time, he goes to Oxford I think. I can look into the postal price, it might end up being worth it.

Cool man. No rush though cos i won't be getting the amp for a while. Are all guitar related things cheaper in France, or is this just a one off?

I think that compared to the UK, everything is cheaper. You guys never should have broken away from the mainland. Maybe if you ever get around to adopting the euro.

Germany's even better than France though, so you ought to have a look there, you might get a better deal. In France, only two or three distributors control the entire market, but Germany's appears to more wide open that way.

have you looked on thomann's website?...they sell all the Harley Benton stuff. I bought a HB jazz bass from there for £65 & it's brilliant for the money. Thomann only charge £10 shipping I believe whatever the order size.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212.htm

seems a shame to spend several hundred quid on a head & then put a cheap cab with it though.