List Of Tools Needed

MescaBug

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I've been thinking about building my own guitar. I've been playing for a good 15 years. After all these years, I have a good knowledge about setting up guitars, adjusting eveything on them, and how guitars are built.

But building one from scratch is a total different story. For the last 2-3 months, I red and studied books, tutorials, and everything I could get my hands on. I'm ready to start. I need tools. Since it's my first build, I don't want to spend 1000$ on tools I may not need right now. I will tell you exactly what I want to do, and what I tought about buying, so you can give me some advice.

Guitar will be a BC Rich Stealth shape neck-thru. To make the build a little easier, I already bought a Carvin ready to build neck; unshaped peghead, no face dots. I made a real-size template from a plan. I also got all the hardware.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...6&CID=GTR/K

Basic list of tools:

- Dremel XPR400 complete kit

- Dremel Drill Press attachment

- Dremel Plunge Router attachment

- Dremel Contour Sander

- Manual Block Plane

- Power Drill

- Hand Sander

- Tools and accessories; clamps, glue, sanding paper etc...

What I'm not sure about:

- Saw; band, scroll ???

- Sanders; belt, disc, orbit ???

Is it a good idea to borrow tools in a shop instead? Or go to a shop for the basic steps (cutting body)? I mean, the band saw is used to rought cut the body and that's it. I don't want to go over the top and transform my basement into a custom shop. Maybe this will be the only guitar I build in my life, even if everybody tells me how much it's addictive :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the bad english, I'm french (from Montreal, Canada).

Thanks all!

David

Edited by MescaBug

Different people will suggest different things, but I'd suggest a Router with template cutting bits, a jigsaw to cut the body outline, and a drill press for the tuner holes. You shouldn't need anything more.

Dremels are only really useful for inlays, the drill press attachment will not let you use a big enough bit for the tuner holes. The plunge router attachment is not good for body cavities such as pickup/control routs as the Dremel is not powerful enough.

If you use a router and template to cut the body outline, then you won't need power sanders for the outside edge, you can do it by hand. If you're only going to build one guitar, get some cheap ones from somewhere like harbour freight or home depot.

As mentioned, the only dremel tool you want/need is the dremel itself and a regular router base for - and only if you want to do inlay.

Otherwise, get a real router. Beg/borrow a drill press for the few times you need it. Powered sanders are useful, but certainly not essential.

Cool. It will not cost as much as I tought.

To clarify things, there is 2 type of routers; fixed, and plunge.

- I use the fixed to cut the body, and the plunge to dig the cavities

- Does a fixed router has a up/down blade like a jig saw? Or is it a drilling bit?

I don't see how a drilling router bit can cut through a 2 1/2" piece of mahogany?? A jig saw wouldn't be more appropriate?

I will buy a router combo kit to have both routers.

Seriously consider buying a book on routing - lots of options there. I prefer fixed-base routers for most things except control cavities, where a plunge router helps.

A router is essentially a motor that spins a router bit (spend money on a good one or two) at absurd speeds (around 25,000 rpm), mounted in a solid base that either plunges while the bit is spinning, or is fixed at a certain depth.

As for the blank: cut first with a bandsaw (and...2-1/2"???? dude...) or an electric jigsaw (all I've ever used to date), a little outside the line, then you use a router with a template bit (a bearing on the shaft) to follow a template (6 to 9mm MDF as a MINIMUM) that's been carefully shaped to match the final desired shape to trim the whole thing down to size.

I don't see how a drilling router bit can cut through a 2 1/2" piece of mahogany?? A jig saw wouldn't be more appropriate?

2 1/2" is very thick, you should be looking at the 1 1/2" - 2" range for a solid body guitar or bass. You would not take a single pass at this thickness with a router. Maybe 5 or 6 knocking off a 1/2" or less each time. Less stress on the bit, less stress on the motor, this will yield the best results.

Interesting... Carvin sells that same neck thru as StewMac for a slightly better price: ($209 vs $243)

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,...uitar_Neck.html

Otherwise, I agree with what others are saying about the router. Get a good one. Mine is an old Sears 6.5 amp and has served me well. I'm also looking into getting my own small benchtop bandsaw (about $100 - Delta, Ryobi, etc) instead of constantly borrowing others.

• 1 month later...

Don't use the router to cut out the body. Even though I've seen it done on woodworking shows, they usually do it through wood less than an inch thick.

Check craigslist or kijiji for used tools (online free classified ads). Sometimes you'll find screaming deals (like 50 bucks for a radial arm saw). Or go and buy cheap. Just remember, cheap tools can be bad! Not sure on what brand for a certain tool? Go to a store which sells lots of magazines and find woodworking magazines. They will test a bunch and give their opinion. Usually the problems with some tools you can deal with. Also through classified ads you may find someone who has a workshop looking for a tenant. You can email him/her and say you just need it now and then and are willing to pay so much for each day you're there. It's a long shot but worth a try. Even then, I've seen them want only 200 a month.

Instead of a bandsaw, get a jigsaw, or use a coping saw if you have lots of time on your hands. A benchtop drill press should be fine. I've seen kits from wolfcraft where you can turn a regular drill into a drill press by buying a stand. I don't know how good they work and I can't find any reviews, but if it sucks you can probably take it back (stores are usually good with returns).

You can buy router packages where you will get a fixed base and plunge. I've seen Skils for about 130-150.

Be patient and read. Don't be afraid to just study as if it were university. You will make mistakes. So what? Everyone has to. You'll find the majority of money you'll want to spend will be through stewmac or lmii where they sell many tools which aid you in guitar building (most of the ones I want are just for neck and fretboard building).

You don't necessarily need a basement. It's not Orange County Choppers here. Even a well organized garage with a bit of room to move should be plenty.