Sold My Band Saw.

MP63

I just sold my Ridgid band saw. Fantastic saw, but I found I never used it.

If you don't do productions and are just a hobbyist like me, you might not need a band saw. They are nice luxuries, but simple hand tools work just as good. You can cheat with just one little power tool though.

Since I bought my Ridgid oscillating, spindle sander, the band saw never got used.

A hand held coping saw, or if need be my Bosch jig saw did the rough cutting.

The sander is simply the best tool I have ever bought.

You still need to sand the edges of guitar bodies anyways, even with a band saw.

So for all you people who think you've just got to have a band saw to make nice things, you can make do with a simpler set up.

Good luck to all.

Mike

Heh. Still need a router, though, since spindle sanding to a line (convex curves, particularly) isn't all that easy to keep straight and un-wobbly. Bandsaws are just time-savers, and allow you to do things you can't do without them (cutting bodies is not one of them, although it's easier), but things like resawing, cutting neck side profiles, that sort of thing. And if you don't have the space/money for a table saw, they'll do rip cuts/straight cuts of all sorts.

But you're certainly right. I've been making guitars for 8 years now (or maybe longer....hmm...), as a hobbyist, and I only recently bought my bandsaw. Still waiting for some blades and a bit of electronics to get the 3-phase up and running, can't wait to start using it, but I just kept on building anyway, even though I had several moments going 'dammit, wish I had that saw up and running', and I've got several things on hold until I do. The lack of bandsaw, however, shouldn't prevent anyone from building.

I thought about a spindle sander but I could get a bandsaw for the same price &, in my mind, the bandsaw would prove much more useful. I don't mind sanding by hand but cutting by hand?....no way! I used a jigsaw for a while but cutting 2" mahogany with a jigsaw was a joke, the blade wobbled so much that I had to route 1/2" all round to get the sides straight. I see your point but personally, I'd go for a bandsaw over the spindle sander every time.

What about scroll saws? I've cut 1.75" thick bodies with a scroll saw twice before with ease. Definitely not an expensive tool, the blades are pretty cheap too.

But you get so many bonuses out of a bandsaw, almost all of which has been listed prior. Bandsaws are definitely not required for luthiery, just a luxury tool.

Biliousfrog: not sure what bandsaws (or oscillating spindle sanders) you're buying, but I can find a basic spindle sander for 150 euros, slightly more powerful one with tilting table (floor-mount rather than tabletop) for 250. My bandsaw cost me quite a bit more than that...

I was just speaking generally, my 14" bandsaw with 210mm cutting height cost me under £300 with a 3/4" blade, 1/4" blade & cabinet base...that seemed like a bargain to me where-as I couldn't justify spending even half that on a spindle sander when a drum sander + pillar drill is sufficient for me. I also only have room for one large piece of machinery & out of everything that I could fit in that space, the bandsaw seemed like the tool that would get the most use.

The chuck keeps falling off my drill press when drum sanding (not designed for a lateral load, really) ergo my interest in the things. Plus, oscillation makes a big, big difference to the final finish. I agree, though, that my Bandsaw is already the tool I wish I had up and running most. Like Erik said, methinks only the routers will get more worktime.

Wow, I could not live without my bandsaw. To me it is a required "luxury." Resawing would be very wasteful without it. Then again I could not live without my tablesaw, jointer, planer, oscillating belt/spindle sander, drill pr..... I am a tool junkie. I appreciate the minimalist approach, but for me having just the right tool makes the experience the most fun.

• 2 weeks later...