Neck Building Tips

hello there. i've just completed my first completed guitar and am on to my next (building these darn things is about as addictive as gettin inked)

with the build i just finished the only thing i dont like about it is the neck (fender). so, im gonna build a neck through 25"scale with multiple laminations. 3 maple 2 bloodwood stringers and ebony FB (stewmac/lmii). im working out the measurements of each peice full scale on paper first. i picked up the last of the wood today(bloodwood). i have enough maple for 3-4 necks and enough bloodwood for the 2 stringers (.25") and possibly a fretboard (if its possible to use as such). body will be alder.

anyway, i was just looking for a few tips as this is my first attempt at carving a neck.

thanks for any advice.

Mark your center line and thickness and cut the shape of your neck and peg head. Mark guidelines about 10mm/3/8"in on each edge you need to shape. Clamp a block of wood in a vice and clamp the peg head to it and position so you are working at a comfortable angle and use a spokeshave and cut back to those guide lines evenly on both edges. You will need to make sure you are cutting with the grain and learn to roll your wrists to just take a thin slice each time. Adjustment and sharpness of the blade is crucial to easy carving.

When they look even you can then start radiusing off the corners bit by bit. Don't remove the center line and keep closely inspecting it and run it through your hands as that is a good guide to unevenness. If you have a heel block like I fit to my guitars then it needs to be fitted up and glued on before you start the carving process.

I then use a fine file to dress it up for the next stage and then sand with 120 grit going finer till about 320 grit.

When you are fine sanding it with your hands you can feel any slight variations there might be.

It is a good idea to leave the neck a tad wider than your finished fingerboard so once the truss rod is installed and the fingerboard is glued on then you can then carefully sand back with a straight edge block so all edges are beautifully flush.

Now I have done a few necks I find it one of the most enjoyable parts of the guitar building process.

If you aren't that confident practice on some scrap wood before you attack that priceless quilted Maple neck you might have.

Edited by Acousticraft

Yup, I love carving necks.

I start off with a centre line. I cut the headstock face angle first and sand it flat. then cut the trussrod slot from the top using a vertical mill then glue on a preslotted fingerboard (life's WAY too short to cut your own!!)

Then rough cut on the band saw and then I just wade in with a good sharp chisel.

sand it

fret it

attach it

finish it