Second Build Finally Done (yea!)

Just finished this one a few days ago. It took me forever but I think it turned out prett nice. I wanted a tele because I like that sound and I don't own one. So... I made one...that I can call my own.

Specs:

Custom made swamp ash double cut tele body with black top binding.

Custom made black pickguard.

Fender american standard six saddle bridge.

Fralin blues special neck pickup.

Seymore Duncan Jerry Donohue lead pickup.

Master volume, master tone, CTS 250K pots.

4-way switching includes pickups in series.

Neck from Musicraft ordered to my specs (12" radius, medium jumbo frets, 1-3/4" bone nut, fat back with very little taper from end to end)

Grover mini rotomatic tuners.

electrosocket jack.

Nitro finished body(Reranch butterscotch) and neck(Reranch fender neck amber).

I know it's not a traditional tele, but I wanted something a little different that still sounds like a tele; and it does.

Tell me what you all think.

Rob.

100_0738_web.jpg

Here are some more pics:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/arrd...00_0736_web.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b92/arrd...00_0715_web.jpg

Edited by ROCKETROB

Hey Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it very much.

I drew the body shape myself. But...I'm not ready to give it away just yet. I have a few of these I plan on making. I've only played it live once so far and I thought it sounded great; very meaty and twangy at the same time. The fat neck really helps transfer the vibrations of the strings. Great sustain too. No sound clips yet. I'll post when I get some put together.

The pickups: Lindy Fralin Blues Special Neck. Seymour Duncan Jerry Donohue Bridge. These pups have a broad shoulder meaty sound with a little less twang than some other ones. I was suprised how high I could turn up the treble on my amp without getting too shrill. This gives a wide range of tones.

Thanks, Rob.

Hey Dude. That is a very nice Guitar.

Who did you get the shape of, i love it. Could i get it of you. I was just about to do my strat and then i saw that shape and i am loving it.

It appears to me you could just use a standard Telly template and draw the treble side and then flip the template over and draw the bass side using the treble side. Perhaps making it a tad fatter where the neck pocket goes.

The guitar looks as though it could or should have been something made by Fender. It looks excellent.

Desopolis Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

what size binding is that? I plan on doing a bass and that looks just about perfect

The Binding is from Stewart-McDonald size .090 x .125. Go to www.stewmac .com and click on bindings. There is a lot of info there including size, color. material, special routing bits and a very good set of instructions on how to do it.

A flat top guitar is the easiest to put bindings on. Just be sure to keep the router perpendicular to the top and route the channel slightly shallow so that the binding is a little higher than the body on the top and sides. Then you can scrape or sand the binding to a perfect fit. Do the binding first then the finishing.

Rob