Make Your Own Electric Guitar Theft.

Oh damm, I bought this book last year and didnt realize this was the book you where talking about.

I did find this book to be informative but it seem to lose you at certain points. sometimes the picks didnt line up with the sections, and sometimes it didnt get into fine details.

overall it was a good book, one of the best out there.

Ever thought of doing DVD versions? (if you havent already)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Melvyn,

I have seen your book in Emule P2P Net as e-book coming from several nods.

I have to be honest that I used Emule sometimes to download some things..

I live in Argentina and let me tell you that here (as many other countries) is not very easy to BUY a book or CD music or whatever because you have all the restrictions you can imagine.(credit cards, shippings, custom issues, goods stealing, etc) And if you can surpass those restrictions you have to pay a fortune for it (currency Devaluations). thats discouraging to buy something coming from another country.

I didnt have a credit card (its not easy to get a card here) and I couldnt really get your book from any store here in Argentina and beleive me that I even beg some stores to tell me if they could bring it from USA to me..and they never even tell me how much it would cost coz they didnt care..

About ordering from internet we have some important problems with customs here coz sometimes they steal goods coming from another countries and when you ask of course they tell you that they dont know nothing about it..or sometimes you have to go to custom to get it and pay a bribe to get it. It a big risk to order something, pay for it 5 more times what you people pay for it, and dont know if you are gonna get it anyways.

I only told you this because I think this is not a problem from Argentina only and I think that is the reason why so many people have to download from internet without paying for it. (but yes, not all the people do it for the same reasons).

I know that this not justify the act of download ilegal copies of copyrighted products but I think this is A reason why so many people do this.

However, I didnt know your book until I entered to this forum.. There was hundreds of helpful people here that told me to buy that book coz was very good one to start on it. So I saw the price of it in Amazon and I knew the risk on the horizon.

Finally could get a friendĀ“s credit card and bought it from amazon with also the Martin Koch one. I dont remember exactly now but I think I ended up paying $100 US.- (for me is like if you would pay $300.- you know devaluations ).. The books arrived home without problems. :D

The main reason why I bought it was because it was a fair and good price.. so knowing your effort to do it (thanks to PG guys:)) even knowing that I have the possibility to download it from internet and Without traversing risks I decided to buy it anyway.

Sometimes you try to do things in a correct way although sometimes its not enough.

Thanks,

Demian.

Hi, Demian.

That was an awesome description of how we are living nowadays on Argentina.

I have several "problems" with buying tools and different stuff for lutherie. And here it's all expensive (Vendoma has to low their prices).

So, the problem it's that if you buy all the stuff like cds or books or what you can download from P2P programs, you cannot use that money for guitar building, and beleive me, here it's freaking expensive to get everything.

Frank.

• 4 months later...

Just to add to the masses EVERYONE considering building a guitar should own Melvin's book..

I have what i consider a funny story about purchasing your book.....

Anyway, your book is tops in my book! worth 5X's the price in time and energy I would have wasted without it.

joe B.

Edited by Maiden69
Thought you might had found that funny, I really thing that Melvin would find it offensive!

Melvyn,

your book is what got me into guitar building.

Thanks! You have done this community a huge favor. Credit where credit is due - hope your situation is sorted out.

I have no investment (besides joy) to reclaim, so I have published my own materials under Creative Commons licensing.

Cheers,

Ola

This is a majorly old topic but I'll chime in any way

I have noticed that this forum thoroughly advises buying the book as does other forums, for which he is I'm sure thankful, but I have never seen an e book of it.

I purchased a few weeks ago and I'm still readying through it at the moment. Glad to give a little bit back, to what I am sure is now a profitable business (I really cant imagine that self publishing the latestest addition that has sold tons isnt making him a few bob these days).

Hi Melvyn,

I have seen your book in Emule P2P Net as e-book coming from several nods.

I have to be honest that I used Emule sometimes to download some things..

I live in Argentina and let me tell you that here (as many other countries) is not very easy to BUY a book or CD music or whatever because you have all the restrictions you can imagine.(credit cards, shippings, custom issues, goods stealing, etc) And if you can surpass those restrictions you have to pay a fortune for it (currency Devaluations). thats discouraging to buy something coming from another country.

I didnt have a credit card (its not easy to get a card here) and I couldnt really get your book from any store here in Argentina and beleive me that I even beg some stores to tell me if they could bring it from USA to me..and they never even tell me how much it would cost coz they didnt care..

About ordering from internet we have some important problems with customs here coz sometimes they steal goods coming from another countries and when you ask of course they tell you that they dont know nothing about it..or sometimes you have to go to custom to get it and pay a bribe to get it. It a big risk to order something, pay for it 5 more times what you people pay for it, and dont know if you are gonna get it anyways.

I only told you this because I think this is not a problem from Argentina only and I think that is the reason why so many people have to download from internet without paying for it. (but yes, not all the people do it for the same reasons).

I know that this not justify the act of download ilegal copies of copyrighted products but I think this is A reason why so many people do this.

However, I didnt know your book until I entered to this forum.. There was hundreds of helpful people here that told me to buy that book coz was very good one to start on it. So I saw the price of it in Amazon and I knew the risk on the horizon.

Finally could get a friendĀ“s credit card and bought it from amazon with also the Martin Koch one. I dont remember exactly now but I think I ended up paying $100 US.- (for me is like if you would pay $300.- you know devaluations ).. The books arrived home without problems. :D

The main reason why I bought it was because it was a fair and good price.. so knowing your effort to do it (thanks to PG guys:)) even knowing that I have the possibility to download it from internet and Without traversing risks I decided to buy it anyway.

Sometimes you try to do things in a correct way although sometimes its not enough.

Thanks,

Demian.

Hi, Demian.

That was an awesome description of how we are living nowadays on Argentina.

I have several "problems" with buying tools and different stuff for lutherie. And here it's all expensive (Vendoma has to low their prices).

So, the problem it's that if you buy all the stuff like cds or books or what you can download from P2P programs, you cannot use that money for guitar building, and beleive me, here it's freaking expensive to get everything.

Frank.

Not only in Argentina, we are having worse problems in Venezuela, last year we had a limit of 3000$ for internet purchases, we still ran that risk of having your goods stolen at customs, i ordered 2 In Flames shirts and they got stolen, takes forever to arrive and it's very expensive, this year, after the suitcase with 800,000$ my goverment sent to Argentina, financing whatever crwazy thing in Colombia, NIcaragua, Cuba, Ecuador, cheap gas for London's buses , etc, we now only have a limit of 400$ for internet purchases and you must have a credit card, before you could use a debit card as well) it is not easy to get a credit card and i hope i can get one, but i don't think they'll approve that i'll spend money on a guitar making book...