Sitar Sound

Hi,

I finished building an electric guitar. It has developed a "sitar sound" (suddenly a high harmonic "seperates" from the fundamental and is very audible) which is consistent on the B string and happens sometimes on the thin E string. I know it is not fret buzz/rattle, because it will do it with a very light pluck and I can see that the string is not hitting the frets. The action isn't that low anyway. This happens whether the string is fretted or open, so it's not at the nut. I think it's at the bridge.

Here's what I think the problem is: I adjusted the intonation at the bridge. Perhaps it was unnecessary, but I tuned each string down significantly (maybe a 3rd or 4th down) when adjusting the saddle, mostly not to pull the string too tight when moving the saddle back. I think in tuning the B string back up, it caught some sort of kink right where it leaves the bridge.

Here's why I think that: I can tune the string down a 3rd or so, and it won't do the sitar sound. As I tune it back up, it doesn't do it. Then, as it reaches a half step away from correct pitch, the sitar sound reappears and is there "in full force" when the string is back at correct pitch. It seems like the kink moves back off the edge of the saddle as the string is tuned down, and then pulled back up as the string goes to the correct pitch.

One more thing... I have not changed strings to test this. I will, but I don't have any strings right now. I just wanted to throw this out there and see the more experienced folks think.

Geo, sounds like you're well on the way to identifying the problem.

Does the sitar sound appear no matter where you're fretting? If it goes away at some point on the neck, it COULD be vibrating against a fret. But, I think your initial assessment is probably correct and here's why: as you tune a string up, it is adding tension, not relaxing it. This will pull your neck into relief, and should theoretically make it LESS likely to fret out. That doesn't mean that other factors aren't at play, and you can't rule out the frets yet... but your own theory sounds more plausible to me right now.

I'll take a shot in the dark....I'm betting you have a flat headstock (i.e. non-tilt) with not very much break angle over the nut, and it's vibrating between the nut and the tuning pegs. Pick that B behind the nut and see if it's the same high note you're hearing.

If it is, some string retainers or felt baffle should take care of it.

I'll take a shot in the dark....I'm betting you have a flat headstock (i.e. non-tilt) with not very much break angle over the nut, and it's vibrating between the nut and the tuning pegs. Pick that B behind the nut and see if it's the same high note you're hearing.

If it is, some string retainers or felt baffle should take care of it.

or saddles....same effect

Thanks for all the replies.

I have had that happen a couple times on my hardtail guitars.

The problem I had was one of the height adjustment srews on one of the saddles wasn't firm against the baseplate of the bridge,so it would vibrate creating a buzz/"sitar" sound.

That could be. I will check it. This happened after I adjusted intonation, so maybe the saddle being dragged backwards over the plate upset the "firmness against the plate" of one of the height-screws.

This is a tilt back, 3L-3R head. The problem is not at the nut, I think, because it doens't only happen on the open note. It is based on the pick attack. With the very lightest pick (you know, so soft you would never play that way) I don't hear it. But with any "reasonable" pick, from gentle playing up to rockin' out, it's there. Also, it's present when fretting the last fret on the fingerboard, so I don't think it's hitting another fret. The action is high anyway. I think it MUST be at the bridge.

Thanks for the help... with any luck, I'll have this sorted out soon.