Fiber Carcon Electric Guitars

Hello guys!!!

I put online a new website about guitar building: http://www.power-development.net

We are a group of 3 guys that love guitars and we also love builging them (more interesting than buying them :D ). We do not build guitars for business we build them for amusement only, we are curious and we love to learn: doing is the best way to the knowloedge.

I started the Power-Development initiative because I was interested in building a guitar made of fiber carbon so I involved 2 friends of mine. We built the first version of a Tele style all fiber carbon guitar. At the moment we are working on a new version (more complex geometry and more complex building process...). If you are interested I'll keep you informed (on this forum and on my web site).

I also love wood so I also build traditional guitars. At the moment I'm completing a semi-hollow body one with a piezo bridge and I'll publish soon the pictures on my site (I also have the building process pictures)

The web site is still a baby and I need to make it grow so be patient, I'll add progressively some new stuffs.

Kind regards to everybody :D

I had in mind fiber carbon because I built airplain models using fiber glass and kevlar and I asked my self: "What about building a guitar in the same way?"

The only problem is that I don't know, at the moment, how to make that guitar fly :D

Thank you Dylan for your comment

I love the look of the carbon fibre guitar! Superb work.

I've always liked carbon fibre on cars but I've never seen a carbon fiber guitar. Cool!

I've just tried to get on the site & I get a message saying that I need to use internet explorer to view it correctly! I know that this isn't a web development forum but designing a site to only work with one browser is not a very good thing to do...especially when IE is only used by approximately 50% of internet users.

The CF tele looks good but the controls look a bit cramped & close to the edge. I imagine that the pickup switch is difficult to reach behind that wall of knobs.

You are completely right on all.

The problem about the web site is that the version of the content manager is old and needs to be upgraded. It was a test installation and now it's becoming "productive" for this site. Anyway, thank you for your tech feed-back I'll, upgrade it as soon as possible.

About the guitar. You're right, the controls are a bit cramped and close to the edge because I installed the Fernandez Sustainer that needs a lot of room in the control cavity and due to the fact that the body is a semi-hollow one that was designed a few months before (with no idea on what electronic would have been installed) there was no chance to extend it at that time.

Thank you for your feed-back ;-D

I've just tried to get on the site & I get a message saying that I need to use internet explorer to view it correctly! I know that this isn't a web development forum but designing a site to only work with one browser is not a very good thing to do...especially when IE is only used by approximately 50% of internet users.

The CF tele looks good but the controls look a bit cramped & close to the edge. I imagine that the pickup switch is difficult to reach behind that wall of knobs.

Very cool stuff. I love reading about new approaches. I'm looking forward to more on these projects.

Regards,

Robert

Thank you.

When we will start with the new project (I hope in the next weeks) I'll take the pictures of the entire production process and I'll keep you informed from the beginning so you will be able to see the progress every week.

Thank you again.

Very cool stuff. I love reading about new approaches. I'm looking forward to more on these projects.

Regards,

Robert

I asked to my collegue Raffaele to provide me 2 pictures of the CAD geometry of our new project. As soon as he provides them to me I'll post them with some more details about what will be the specifications.

I'm very pleased to see that so many people is interested in our projects.

I'll keep you informed :D

Thank you!

Hello again!

I put on my web site some details about the project of the new version of our carbon fiber guitar. In particular you can find the specifications and the differences from the current version.

Go on: http://www.power-development.net. Under "Carbon Guitar V2.0" you will find all the information I'll post about our project during the execution.

I also wrote something about the pickups I'll install on it: if you are looking for the real PAF tone, I think you will find what I wrote there very interesting. If you are curious just give it an eye.

If you have any question about our project, don't hesitate to ask, I'll be pleased to give you all the answers :D

I'll keep you informed.

In this section I also added 2 pictures: the mould and the first unfinished body.

Stay tuned :D

Hello again!

I put on my web site some details about the project of the new version of our carbon fiber guitar. In particular you can find the specifications and the differences from the current version.

Go on: http://www.power-development.net. Under "Carbon Guitar V2.0" you will find all the information I'll post about our project during the execution.

I also wrote something about the pickups I'll install on it: if you are looking for the real PAF tone, I think you will find what I wrote there very interesting. If you are curious just give it an eye.

If you have any question about our project, don't hesitate to ask, I'll be pleased to give you all the answers :D

I'll keep you informed.

• 4 weeks later...
I forgot to tell you that in the next days I'll publish a set of pictures of the building process of the Fiber Carbon Guitar v1.0.

Looking forward to the posting. Very interesting stuff. Its good to see some innovation.

Regards,

Robert

I forgot to tell you that in the next days I'll publish a set of pictures of the building process of the Fiber Carbon Guitar v1.0.

Looking forward to the posting. Very interesting stuff. Its good to see some innovation.

Regards,

Robert

In the next weeks I'll start the building of an headless guitar. In particular, when I'll receive the bridge and the nut (so I'll know the neck requirements), I'll build a fiber carbon neck for it.

I noticed that your "personal photo" is an headless guitar, so I suppose you are experieced in building them, isn't it?

Great to see some innovative work being done, and thanks for sharing with us here...

You may have missed this one that my friend Tim from the sustainer thread has been working on...

11.jpg

carbon merbu guitar

But there have been a few threads on this type of thing. Not many would have the resources to machine a mold as you have done...good stuff...good for you!

Anyway...good to see and hear the sustainer...you are probably aware of the sustainer thread hear and you would be more than welcome to get involved and further the technology...

Here's my latest design...

pswdualdriver10.jpg

This sustainer driver cost less than $5 in materials. The benefits of out DIY sustainer are many, but one thing struck me...

About the guitar. You're right, the controls are a bit cramped and close to the edge because I installed the Fernandez Sustainer that needs a lot of room in the control cavity and due to the fact that the body is a semi-hollow one that was designed a few months before (with no idea on what electronic would have been installed) there was no chance to extend it at that time.

The DIY versions we have created typically have much smaller electronics and complete control over how they are implemented (because you DIY, right!!!)...

It would be interestting to see what you could do with it given the resources and resourcefulness you obviously have...

keep up the good work, and keep us posted...

pete :D

The mold building process is very easy and cheap, you don't need any expensive equipment.

Here a very very short description of the process for building a mold for a neck (just for example):

1. build a wood neck (it doesn't matter what kind of wood you use because it will be, probably, destroied in the process...) without fretboard

2. paint it; you need to have a mirror like surface

3. apply 3 coats of wax

4. screw it on a piece of plexiglass with the "fretboard" side down (on the plexiglass)

5. use the silicon to seal the contact point (plexi / neck)

6. apply mold resin on all the surface

7. reinforce the mold with fiber glass

8. unscrew the neck and extract it from the mold (probably it will break)

At the end of this process you have a mold that can be used for lamination. The only equipment you need is a vacuum pump (for the lamination).

The main problem is that the piece used for building the mold (in this case the neck), needs to be designed in order to be easily extracted from the mold and has to be easily laminated (smooth-cornered).

I hope this explaination will help. If you want I can take some pictures of my last neck mold. Let me know

:D

hey psw i was following that build of the guitar u breifly posted there but i missed the end resulf can u post up some i loved th finish

Here is a picture:

14.jpg

Here some more pictures:

A detail of the fretboard

The back

Here is a sample of the sustainer installed on it:

Sustainer demo

In the next weeks I'll start a new project: a headless guitar with a fiber carbon neck (that I'll start building as soon as possible) :D

In the next weeks I'll start the building of an headless guitar. In particular, when I'll receive the bridge and the nut (so I'll know the neck requirements), I'll build a fiber carbon neck for it.

I noticed that your "personal photo" is an headless guitar, so I suppose you are experieced in building them, isn't it?

Hi Salvatore! The avatar is a pic of my very first guitar build based on the Klein Electric Guitar. Click the link to see more on my first guitar project. I did not make the neck for this first one - instead focusing on the body. A neck build is in the near future I suspect.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to your headless design. What hardware are you using for the bridge and nut?

Regards,

Robert