Good Oilstone Or Other Fret Leveling Tool?

pariah223

A good flat oilstone would work nicely as long as you use a straightedge to see where the high/low points are before attacking the entire board! I prefer my trusty 1" x 2" steel box section with some 320 grit sandpaper taped on. Remember to put some marker pen on your frets to show your progress!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have tried various methods and have found you want a perfectly flat block of wood that will cover the full length of the fingerboard at once. I glue on 180 grit 3M gold paper to my straight block with those glue sticks you use for paper and do all the frets at the same time.

Use a straight edge first to find any high frets and file those down individually first. Once they are close then use your long sanding block. By using shorter things like oil stones you can still be up and down all over the place.

The oil stone is brilliant though for filing of the fret ends and bevelling them. Use a permanent marker pen on the fret tops and it will show which ones are high or low.

Edited by Acousticraft

I have tried various methods and have found you want a perfectly flat block of wood that will cover the full length of the fingerboard at once. I glue on 180 grit 3M gold paper to my straight block with those glue sticks you use for paper and do all the frets at the same time.

Use a straight edge first to find any high frets and file those down individually first. Once they are close then use your long sanding block. By using shorter things like oil stones you can still be up and down all over the place.

The oil stone is brilliant though for filing of the fret ends and bevelling them. Use a permanent marker pen on the fret tops and it will show which ones are high or low.

The simple fact that oil stones wear is a problem. They also do not always come flat. Its the reason SM sells a diamond leveling block and a flat edge sanding beam used with Peel and stick paper. I think length equals a better full fret job any way.

You would be better off using a flattened piece of wood and sand paper. Someone I know uses 1 " strips of glass attached to a straight board as the surface.

Stay away from things that wear and unless you have some oil stone leveling experience my vote would be no on the stone.

Woodenspoke