http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=29594

hyunsu's neck seems fine and I know that Neal moser has done a few oak Bodies and necks, myself I dont like it but what ever works

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Worked fine for me... but my neck was strengthened with aluminium strip things and it was fairly thick.

Plus I chambered the body to make it lighter. It sounds nice acoustically, but I havent done the elctronics yet.

Oak is ok provided you can find a light enough piece of wood. I've seen some examples, I think Hyunsu has been using some in a few necks, which are then being used to heat his shop. :D The mans a perfectionist. But if I were to use heavy, dense oak I would plan to go with a thinner body to keep the weight reasonable.

Oak is hard to get real smooth and almost impossible to get a mirror finish. Stability is questionable. The coefficient of expansion and contraction is just too much for use as instrument wood and it’s ugly to boot. Ash would be a better choice, but I still wouldn’t use it for a neck. IMO

It’s good for Kitchen cabinets and furniture.

I personally like oak. Have built many pieces of furniture with oak. I love that wonderful open grain. I decided to build a guitar using red oak. I only used the oak as a cap.

Here is the link to my build. Don't dismiss oak that readily. I don't always travel the well beaten path.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=28607&hl=

Edited by MCH