You have 3 options, bolt on, set neck or neckthru. The set neck is basically a mortise and tenon joint, glued in solid, no dovetails involved in these. You better get the measurements ie. neck angle etc. right the first time with those types. Neck thru involves the neck wood being extended right to the butt of the guitar with 2 body wings attached. And bolt-on involves routing a neck pocket and then drilling holes in the body for mounting screws. You'd best do some reading about all that and you can get a better idea about the pros and cons, as well as how easy each one is to build. I find the neck thru with no neck angle by far the easiest one to make.

I like bolt on necks on my acoustics. It is a nice way to go for future servicing, and there are several features you can build in with bolt ons(even adjustable joints). I never found set necks harder per say, but like I said I enjoy the flexability of a bolt on.

Your big question will be what configuration to use(and there are a lot of options). You mentioned a similar configuration to an electric. Are you thinking something with no heel? I think Myka had built with that kind of configuration. You can certainly look around and find other methods also. Here are a few links

Link

link

link

link

Mykas

There are a lot of other examples out there. Do any of these look like something that would work 4 U?

Peace,Rich

Im going with Bolt on after considering dovetail. I am using cumpianos measurements, but I think I would like a larger area, the tenon is 1X5/8 or so. Seems a little narrow. LOts of good stuff on his site.Glued up the neck and will be truing the sides this week, so as to fit the neck block to it, before my side bending, hopefully this weekend... I should have the basic box done in a month or so...

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Newsletters/archive.html

Nah, it's telling me to "download the latest Flash plugin" which I already have. Its Flash content is old, and is consequently checking versioning against Macromedia, instead of against Flash's new owner (namely, Adobe). Don't wanna downgrade just to see a site. :D

Greg

Nah, it's telling me to "download the latest Flash plugin" which I already have. Its Flash content is old, and is consequently checking versioning against Macromedia, instead of against Flash's new owner (namely, Adobe). Don't wanna downgrade just to see a site. B)

Greg

Well dang! My new laptop is out of date at only a couple months old :D I have no idea what version of flash I have :D

Here is a link to a dealer with a couple pics-Link

and another-Link #2

and some other write up-link#3

I like bolt on necks on my acoustics. It is a nice way to go for future servicing, and there are several features you can build in with bolt ons(even adjustable joints). I never found set necks harder per say, but like I said I enjoy the flexability of a bolt on.

Your big question will be what configuration to use(and there are a lot of options). You mentioned a similar configuration to an electric. Are you thinking something with no heel? I think Myka had built with that kind of configuration. You can certainly look around and find other methods also. Here are a few links

Link

link

link

link

Mykas

There are a lot of other examples out there. Do any of these look like something that would work 4 U?

Peace,Rich

The Taylor method and Myka's method looks like it might work for me. I have a few questions on them that need some answering. In the Taylor method is it just on big solid neck block for the neck to bolt into? and on Myka's method i am confused on how the neck attachs to the irregular neck block and why the block is formed like it is. Couldn't i just have a larger neck block and bolt it on like a strat, or would that cause tonal problems and maybe mute the sound a bit?

THX

PS: your guitars are kicking ass. I'll be looking into them too!

Edited by Mr. Preston Swift

For my first acoustic I am going from Cumpiano's book (although my tenon is 3/4" wide), but for the second build I will go with a more simple version of Taylor's joint which just butts flush against the sides (but still mortised into the top).

The difficulty I had with the Cumpiano joint was that I found it more complicated to shave down the neck heel to get just the right neck angle with that tenon sticking out.

The Taylor method and Myka's method looks like it might work for me. I have a few questions on them that need some answering. In the Taylor method is it just on big solid neck block for the neck to bolt into? and on Myka's method i am confused on how the neck attachs to the irregular neck block and why the block is formed like it is. Couldn't i just have a larger neck block and bolt it on like a strat, or would that cause tonal problems and maybe mute the sound a bit?

THX

PS: your guitars are kicking ass. I'll be looking into them too!

The Taylor and most of the blocks you will see are some form of a modified "C" block. This cuts weight, allows you to use more reasonable bolt lengths, and if there is a bolt below the soundboard you have to be able to have a place for a bolt. The tricky aspect of the Taylor joint is going to be the way it recesses in the wood(at the side and top). This may provide a small amount of side to side stability, and a bit of a cleaner look. Really though a method like Erik metioned with a simple butt joint against the side would work fine also. The beauty of the Taylor is it is very easy to adjust down the road. Having a routed slot for a tenion that is not as wide as the fretboard allows you to adjust the fretboard without having it set right on top of the soundboard(which is also handy). A couple key points in whatever you choose to use. Be sure you have a bolt placed fairly low on the heel, and a second that is higher up(I generally am less concerned about the upper bolt location). I like to use two small bolts in the tenion area(I just think it adds stability in alighnment), Although one can work just fine. i believe a simple joint is best(the more straight forward the tighter you can get to parts to fit), and does make fit up easier or angle adjustments more easy to

control.

I would not recommend a Strat style screwed on neck. The tenion would be harder to control. I am not going to tell you it can't be done because you could, but I don't think you will be happy with it.

Myka would be a better source for info on his short heel neck. It is from what I understand. Much the same as a regular bolted heel neck with a shorter heel. David seemed happy with the performance.

Peace,Rich

P.S. Take a look at Peter's build also he uses a modified Taylor style heck also-Swedish Luthiers's build

For my first acoustic I am going from Cumpiano's book (although my tenon is 3/4" wide), but for the second build I will go with a more simple version of Taylor's joint which just butts flush against the sides (but still mortised into the top).

The difficulty I had with the Cumpiano joint was that I found it more complicated to shave down the neck heel to get just the right neck angle with that tenon sticking out.

That post could have come from me :D

Thats exactly my experience, and thats what I'm going to do on the next one.

By the way, is your guitar done? I don't remember seeing any finished pics of it.