Repairing A Gibson Sg

I was able to purchase a gibson sg faded special off of ebay for about $280. It was a good deal considering it had all the hardware and electronics that worked. You can see from the pic that the wood around the neck pocket came off with the tenon in the break but i was able to use some of the fretboard removal technique to get it off clean. A piece of wood was missing from the upper part of the neck joint (I think its the bass side?). I just routed it out to make a clean slot and now have a piece of mahogany to cut and match for it. The headstock just slid back in and had an excellent amount of surface area to just be reglued. I plan to use some reinforcing strips of oak or mahogany at the headstock to give it more strength and give it a fade black paint job with still keeping the heritage cherry stain. I might even do some black fade around the horns and neck/body joint to hide the difference in the shades of mahogany. Let me know what you think of the paint scheme or if you have and good ideas.

brokensg1.jpg

Edited by SRV_ROCKS

I would've called the neck a goner since it broke there, cleaned out the tenon and cut a new neck for it. but if you reckon you can do a solid repair go for it! and as for the finish I'm always a sucker for a nice Cherry SG... however that Natural burst Ltd is pretty nice too (much nicer than the gibson natural bursts IMHO)