Schematix H-x-h 1 Vol + 5-way

buttmonk

Hi there,

Does anyone have a schematic for this? I want to wire up a pair of Bare Knuckle Warpigs in H-X-H (bridge humbucker - no middle pup - neck humbucker) configuration with only a master volume and a 5-way. I don't want any tone control. Also if anyone happens to have a nifty scheme for adding a 2nd vol so that the vol of neck and bridge pup can be set independently that would be good too. I would like the following options on the 5-way:

1) H-X (bridge humbucking, neck off)

2) X-H (bridge off, neck humbucking)

3) H-H (bridge humbucking, neck humbucking, series)

4) S-S (bridge split, neck split, series)

5) X-S (bridge off, neck split)

* I think I want them in series as indicated but if anyone thinks this inadvisable let me know.

Thanks,

Edited by buttmonk

what the heck is an X, and then if X means single-coil, what's the S?

Sorry, added some more info to the original post. "X" = pup is off, "S" = pup is split i.e. single coil, "H" = humbucking. I saw someone else use this notation on a different forum so I thought it might be standardish...

Ah, I see. :D I've never seen that notation in these parts, though it sort of makes sense now. When I've described stuff, I've tended to use longhand (what you ended up doing), though I'm sure I've seen people refer to "NS" (Neck, Single-coil) or "BH" (Bridge, Humbucker) before. In particular, though, if there's "no" middle pickup at all, most people just call it an HH configuration (not H-X-H). It's assumed that the humbuckers are at neck and bridge.

Since none of your options require a mixture of H+S, I'd actually recommend a different approach-- push/pull on your vol knob to cut the coils on both humbuckers at once, and a 3-way switch. Should be nice and intuitive to dial in whatever you want, and would allow you to avoid a complex "4-pole, 5-position switch" (also known sometimes as a SuperSwitch) diagram. Plus, you'd add in the conspicuously absent "Bridge single-coil only" option.

Greg

Since none of your options require a mixture of H+S, I'd actually recommend a different approach-- push/pull on your vol knob to cut the coils on both humbuckers at once, and a 3-way switch. Should be nice and intuitive to dial in whatever you want, and would allow you to avoid a complex "4-pole, 5-position switch" (also known sometimes as a SuperSwitch) diagram. Plus, you'd add in the conspicuously absent "Bridge single-coil only" option.

Greg

Thanks GregP! So I think I will ditch my first idea and do as u suggest instead. So of course, my next question is, has anyone got a schematic for this i.e. 3-way and vol with push/pull splitter, no tone? :D

There's definitely gotta be a schematic for the push/pull combo out there. My own guitar uses something like this, but adds 1 Tone knob.

I'm not very good at generating diagrams or I'd offer to do it myself-- but if you're at all inclined you should be able to take the above advice, combine it with an actual diagram from somewhere like guitarelectronics.com, and take it from there. If you run into a roadblock, I bet SOMEONE on here can help you out, but they're more inclined to sacrifice their time if you've already shown that you've given it some independent effort first.

Plus, if you solve it on your own, imagine the knowledge you will have gained!

Greg

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem..._1t_3w_1pp.html

Like I said, I'm not very good at electronics, so I'd prefer someone to confirm this before you go ahead and try it. That said--

I THINK all you need to do here is cut the tone knob out of the equation. So, looking at the volume knob, the "left" lug in the diagram would go directly to the switch, the wire that WOULD connect the switch to the "solder" blob on the tone knob can instead go to the solder blob on the volume, and ditto for the wire that connects the ground of the output jack... it'd go to the solder blob on the volume instead.

Anybody? Am I missing anything there, or do I have it totally wrong?

Sincerely,

The non-electronics-non-guru,

Greg

Thanks Greg!

What you say makes sense, based on my primitive electrical knowledge at least. I did go as far as making a modified version of the Seymour Duncan diagram but I decided against posting it here cos I guess Seymour Duncan would not be too happy. It will be a while before I get the pups but when I do I will try this out.

cheers,

The above diagram link is correct.

Just think of it this way there are 2 parts of the circuit. One is the signal path. Where do you want you guitar sound to go?

The other is ground that everything must touch to complete the circuit.

Just eliminate the tone control connecting by 3 way switch output to the volume pot tab instead of the tone and move the ground from the bridge and output over to the volume tone since there is no tone pot to ground it.

Good Luck

Nice one. :D

So, if you've split the coils, positions 2 and 4 are just redundant, right? (a single pickup can't be series OR parallel, it's just active)

• 3 months later...
Nice one. B)

So, if you've split the coils, positions 2 and 4 are just redundant, right? (a single pickup can't be series OR parallel, it's just active)

indeed !

pos 1 - bridge - series

pos 2 - bridge - parallel

pos 3 - all of em baby ! - in series

pos 4 - neck parallel

pos 5 - neck series

when you split the coils you just get the remaining coil - series or parallel for your single coil sir? :D:D

I love that config, I have it in an ibanez guitar and I can get really good stratty sounds as well as rock and blues and metal...

great stuff !