Festival Guitar: Wildflower Hollow Body

I have spent many hours for a guitar that I donated to be auctioned off. This may seem like a crazy thing to do. I certainly had that thought more than once. But, the magnitude of free advertising will hopefully more than pay for the effort I put in it. The Richardson Wildflower festival is celebrating it's 15th year. For that I made the Wildflower 15 year Hollow Body. The guitar is completely mahogany with a mahogany/poplular/mahogany neck. The tuners are vintage open back and the pickups are GFS vintage pickups. They sound really cool.

The Richardson Wildflower Festival is a 3 day event. Some of my personal highlights will be Bo Diddley, Shooter Jennings, Eddie Money and The Romantics. At the event they have an auction of guitars turned into art. I saw this last year and told them I would built them a guitar. I did a guitar and CBG. I hope Bo stops by to check them out.

http://www.wildflowerfestival.net/

My cheesy smile and the guitar

Close up of the front

The Headstock

the pickguard graphics

pg_371347955.jpgpg_184232926.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I can let you guys in on the real instrument I tried to build. I had a grand idea of building a clear hollow body guitar. I spent about a month forming the body and went through like 3 4x8 sheets. I was so close to getting it together. As you can see the side split on me. I spent so much time working with the bottom curve that I didn't realize the stress that the top side had on it. The other issue is that the glue for the plexi weld makes it very brittle. That's when thing start to crack. I did have some issues with the bending. Too hot would start to melt the plexi. Not hot enough would break it when you force it into the mold.

I still want to build a clear hollowbody or semi-hollow body. How cool would that look with the center board floating in the guitar. Anyway, I thought I'd share my idea and see if any of you guys have good ideas on how to achieve this kind of instrument. I was looking into acrylic instead of plexi. I hear it's more flexible and easier to work with. What's you thoughts?

dsci0035.jpg

dsci0034.jpg

I cant help you, but that is a damn cool idea!

How did you get the frosted look on the pickguard?

That's vinyl that's used for signs. I had the logo cut out to add to the Wildflower guitar. You can get plain sheets of it and apply it to the underside of a plexi pickguard.

Very cool Idea! I've never seen a clear acoustic. I've got a vinyl cutter, and a laser engraver. I'm kind of a "plexi junkie". I do a lot of mirror tops in plexi. Have you thought about using a thicker sheet of clear, and shaping & polishing it in the high stress areas? A 1/2" thick piece would give you more area to glue the adjoining side pieces to, and more stability at the neck joint. Just a thought.

I'm currently working on a deal with a company that produces 100% acrylic solid surface countertop material. The plan is to do a custom solid body build out of a 1/2" pigmented acrylic. It's mainly for advertising purposes. The main problem is the weight, it will have to be chambered..we'll see if it actually happens.

I like the mirrored tops. How do you do the cracks? Do you engrave the cracks under then apply mirrored vinyl?

As for using thicker plexi I had a hard time trying to bend the 1/8" stuff. I would hurt myself or burn something down doing larger. I am thinking about going to 3-d design shop and see if I could get a mold made or something. Maybe even CNC the arched top and backs out of thicker blocks.