Messed Up My Neck Pocket, Suggestions?

Well.....chalk up another mistake to impatience. In trying to "get something done" this weekend, with limited time, I managed to:

1. Go in too deep on the pocket depth--should have been 5/8" (20/32"), is 23/32"

2. Not paying attention to the template will making routing passes, the clamp loosened due to vibration and the template jumped about 1/8 of inch off center.

Good news if there is any is that the top and bottom are not glued yet. I thought I could clamp them together and cut out the nect pocket but was wrong.

Any ideas on salvage or is this another completed "wall of death" project?

can you glue a small piece of maple on to each side of the cavity then rout again.

I know you will not get a perfect match in grain but that is what I would do.

PRS--that makes sense and yes I have enough maple that I could do it. What about the depth? I guess I could do the same thing, that is, glue down a 1/4+ inch thick piece of mahogany then lay in the maple sides then route again. With the top going on over it all it might cover the grain inconsistencies. Also, if looks too bad I could cover it all with a pick guard.

Thanks for the input.

if you are going to paint it the body my suggestion is a product called kittyhair its a fiberglass filler but it works pretty well for things like this (lots easier than shims and gluing and rerouting) i messed up my neck pocket by routing it just a bit to wide and this stuff fixed it quick just fill your bad spots and sand away any excess.... but really only works if your going to paint other wise you can see it and it will look crappy under a stain next to all the grain of the wood

Edited by Ferdinand_Oconner

Any luck with the neck pocket?

Glued in a plug made of mahogany then sanded it down to height. Filled in the gap around the plug and the previous cut with filler made from Tightbond and sawdust. Then re-cut the neck pocket using the template and a 1/2" straight router bit that had three pieces of duct tape (one complete wrap for each piece) around the bearing. Did not go back in with the 3/8" bit to get the corners of the pocket radiused--the 1/2" bit was fine as is.

This, along with simply being more careful and methodical seemed to work. The neck now fits in snugly and lines up with the body's center line.

I also made a new face and cut it / sanded it to match up with the body neck cavity. Here's a pic:

neck5.jpg

Next will be to drill out the controls and switch holes in the face. I'll also have to recess these holes from the back of the face since it is much thicker than a pickguard. Once this is laid out and drilled, I'll glue the face to the body then will route the trem and pickup cavities.

Here's more on the build with a bit more detail:

http://www.geocities.com/buildaxe/

Thanks agian for all the advice and encouragement---I think this thing may work out OK afterall.....