Where To Begin

Im learning how to use all of this in my Materials Science Technology class and next year I wanted to start off by hopefully having part of a guitar drawn out on mastercam for when school starts back up again I'm hoping to figure out how to do this guitar I just dont even know where to begin I don't really care about the difficulty as I see it as learning

hr_synyster_custom_Lg.gif

Thats the guitar I want to try and build and since ive neevr done it before I want to do as much research on building guitars as I can throughout the summer

Im learning how to use all of this in my Materials Science Technology class and next year I wanted to start off by hopefully having part of a guitar drawn out on mastercam for when school starts back up again I'm hoping to figure out how to do this guitar I just dont even know where to begin I don't really care about the difficulty as I see it as learning

hr_synyster_custom_Lg.gif

Thats the guitar I want to try and build and since ive neevr done it before I want to do as much research on building guitars as I can throughout the summer

well, you can start by reading all the tutorials on the projectguitar.com website

and reading a lot from the forums too. i found the forums were more helpful at times, looking at peoples in progress work, mistakes, etc.

+1 The forums as BNichols said show you a lot you won't see on a tutorial site. You end up seeing a lot more builds and a lot more ways to build to find what suits you best. The best thing about the forums, which Bnichols also mentioned, is seeing mistakes. Mistakes enable you to learn what to avoid and many of them would be very tough to know from solely studying a tutorial. No doubt the tuts are a great help, but I like to use them as an outline for the steps I need to follow, then I research the forums for the details. Between the main site tutorials, this forum, and a good book you could make an excellent guitar from scratch without any major problems. Just plan it out in detail and make sure you plan out the order of steps you need to take. At some points if you skip a tiny step, you could possibly botch the whole project or at least make yourself a terrible mess. So plan it out thoroughly and make sure you know the ins and outs of the type of neck attachment you are going with and so on.

As for your pic, do you plan on the entire guitar being painted front and back? Binding might look cool on it also, I must say that I like the look and hope to see the real thing strung up. Just something I thought I might mention, I'm sure there are ways around it and it might not ever be a real problem, but sometimes with some tuners, you won't be able to keep them all parallel like that and they might need to be angled in, in order to have use of them, again thats something that will have to be worked out in the planning. Seeing that headstock reminded me of someone that ran into that problem and had to angle them all in, after finding out that he couldn't adjust them. Wasn't a big deal, but I know I like the look of how you have them setup now over them being angled in.

One helpful tip, if you want to research a certain topic on this site, try using the search button up in the right hand corner. It is a great way to access all the information regarding any topic, very helpful. Best of luck.

and reading a lot from the forums too. i found the forums were more helpful at times, looking at peoples in progress work, mistakes, etc.

+1 The forums as BNichols said show you a lot you won't see on a tutorial site. You end up seeing a lot more builds and a lot more ways to build to find what suits you best. The best thing about the forums, which Bnichols also mentioned, is seeing mistakes. Mistakes enable you to learn what to avoid and many of them would be very tough to know from solely studying a tutorial. No doubt the tuts are a great help, but I like to use them as an outline for the steps I need to follow, then I research the forums for the details. Between the main site tutorials, this forum, and a good book you could make an excellent guitar from scratch without any major problems. Just plan it out in detail and make sure you plan out the order of steps you need to take. At some points if you skip a tiny step, you could possibly botch the whole project or at least make yourself a terrible mess. So plan it out thoroughly and make sure you know the ins and outs of the type of neck attachment you are going with and so on.

these ideas were what I was aiming for but I was a little too tired to get my thoughts across this morning

these ideas were what I was aiming for but I was a little too tired to get my thoughts across this morning

:D Don't worry I was also kinda brain dead, if you hadn't posted the idea I probably woulda just zoned out and fell asleep, lol.

BTW BNichols, the guitar in this post has the inline knobs and switch concept going on, which I like so much, in this case the switch is first then the knobs. Both ways work well, but I think with the Les Paul style switch works better in front of the knobs and the strat type switch works better behind the knobs. Totally personal preference, but you seemed undecided, so the pic here better illustrated the idea. :D

Edited by jmrentis

Thanks for all the help guys ill start checking out those tutorials over the next few weeks and trying to figure this all out. Once I start on this project ill keep you guys posted the guitar is a custom guitar made for synyster gates guitarist for Avenged Sevenfold I really liked the look so I figured as long as im trying to make a guitar lets go with one that would be most challenging :D anyways ill check all those out thanks a ton.

Seriously, get a copy of 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hisock (that's a book); it runs you through design, construction, tool selection, finishing, etc. in a concise, complete, easy to read way that'll give you a far more cohesive overview of what's involved in building a guitar than any number of tutorials.

Armed with that knowledge, online tutorials and the like will make a lot more sense, and you can pick and choose the techniques that appeal to you most.

Seriously, get a copy of 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hisock (that's a book); it runs you through design, construction, tool selection, finishing, etc. in a concise, complete, easy to read way that'll give you a far more cohesive overview of what's involved in building a guitar than any number of tutorials.

Armed with that knowledge, online tutorials and the like will make a lot more sense, and you can pick and choose the techniques that appeal to you most.

Cool thanks ill go look for that at amazon.com maybe ill find it used :D whats a good program to use though my school has rhino and mc9 out of those which would be easiest? Ive only used rhino once..but if it would be easier ...I would take the time to learn it