Control Cavity & Cavity Cover Templates

Rick500

I've been thinking about it for a little while, and did a few searches but didn't come up with anything:

What's the best way to make control cavity and cavity cover templates that are an exact match?

I made a cavity cover template; that was straightforward, but now how do I best go about making the opposite template--the cavity template--that will exactly match the cover?

I could do it by hand I suppose, and keep tweaking it little by little until it mostly matches, but I figured there was an easier and more accurate way.

Check routerbits.com (or any other router accessories supplier) and look at the 'router inlay kit'; that should take care of it or you. Similar things are possible using router bits with appropriately sized bearings (make template for cover, undercut to make a template that's 1/4" narrower all the way around, then follow that new template to cut a hole in another piece that's back to the original size -> should be a perfect match).

Personally, I just do it by hand. You don't want cavity covers to fit THAT tightly, usually, because you've got finish thickness to contend with.

Unless i'm not understanding you correctly, just take your cavity cover template, and grab a sharp pencil and some of your choice templating material. Then draw around the cover template, and just route that out.

Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Oli

Once you have your outer template for your cavity cover recess made, trace around it using a pencil placed inside a microsized washer. The washer shrinks down the size of your drawn cavity hole by whatever thickness width the outer sleeve of the washer is (in my case, about 2 mm). I then rough cut it on the bandsaw and finish it up using a beltsander tilted 90 degrees on a jig. beltsand away to your lines and then either use that as your template or re-cut another to suit.

Cut one by hand for a template, then from then on it's templated. :D

DSC05040_edited.jpg

cheers, Stu

Make the route first, and cut the cover to match - it's much easier to adjust the shape of a cover template than the shape of a cavity template.

Once I've made my cavity template I drace it onto a piece of medf with a blunted pencil. The thickness of the blunt pencil lead is about right to allow for finish thickness and not end up with a cover which gets stuck in place.

I've been thinking about it for a little while, and did a few searches but didn't come up with anything:

What's the best way to make control cavity and cavity cover templates that are an exact match?

I made a cavity cover template; that was straightforward, but now how do I best go about making the opposite template--the cavity template--that will exactly match the cover?

I could do it by hand I suppose, and keep tweaking it little by little until it mostly matches, but I figured there was an easier and more accurate way.

Go with the router inlay kit, yes the fit is tight but you just do a little hand sanding around the edges of the plate, Its a lot less work and more accurate than some of the methods I have read here. Comes with instructions so it's easy to do. Mattia gave you a link or try pricecutter.com which is generally cheaper all around for router bits.

I always make my cover plates out of the same wood as the back.

Woodenspoke

Anyone used Formica or similar Kitchen bench top laminate for cavity covers. I think it would work OK and there are heaps of colours to choose from. Most kitchen manufacturers have off cuts of this material lying around.

If you're talking the stuff I'm thinking about, my experience has been that it isn't very sturdy on it's own without being adhered to something - I'd worry about it cracking if a larger cover plate received a knock to it's center.