Neck Heel

I am having trouble planning out my set neck's heel. Some set neck guitars have heels like Gibsons, and others, still with set necks, do not. On these guitars the neck just runs straight into the body without having the lip that scoops toward the bottom side of the body. I was just wondering what you guys do to plan out the neck heels on your builds. Previous to this guitar I have done only 2 neck throughs, so this is a whole new concept for me!

On the last two electrics I built, I ran the neck straight thru into the neck pocket and added a small heel separately to blend neck to body joint.

All the guitars I am building now I have added a heel as per Fender necks as it makes the whole process easier and you don't have to be quite so precise with fit up.

On the last two electrics I built, I ran the neck straight thru into the neck pocket and added a small heel separately to blend neck to body joint.

All the guitars I am building now I have added a heel as per Fender necks as it makes the whole process easier and you don't have to be quite so precise with fit up.

Hmm, that is an interesting way to do it. Is it easy to spot that the neck and heel aren't one solid piece? I suppose that wouldnt bother me actually, so perhaps I will give that a go. Now if only I could find that extra wood cut off my neck laminate...

Let's see? What I do is what feels good!!!! If it feels good, then it's right for me. My first had more swell, but less than any that I had played, it felt good, then I found less swell by removing more material. then it feels better. Just go by what you feel not by what others think you should do. It's all about what you want, It;s your guitar and fitting it to you is what is most important.

just my .02 cents

MK