Help Me Identify This Pickup!

Alexander

Hi guys,

Here's the story: I recently bought a 1985 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, that originally was HSS, but when I got it it had been converted to HXX with a single vol - just the way I like em. Seller claimed the remaining bridge humbucker was original, but according to my knowledge, it should be either a SD JB or a Schaller. It's neither as far as I can see, but it does sound good (I reserve full judgement before jamming it with the band at full volume, as with all new gear).

Here are some pics, it comes out at about 15k so it's pretty damn hot. No markings tho - the fact that it's that hot and unmarked leads me to think it could be a homemade or custom built pickup (it's definitely wax potted, too). One thing's for sure, it's not Kramer factory original.

Any help/suggestions/ideas as to what it is would be gratefully received!

pickup1.jpg

pickup2.jpg

Thanks!

Can you see if it has a ceramic magnet or Alnico. Also does it have three magnets (centre and two on the outside of the poles)?. If I'm not completly misstacen the pole pices are slug (non adjustable) on both sides. Are the coils wrapped in tape? The answers might narrows it down a bit. A side view might also help

OK, Alnico or ceramic...Alnico have a metallic look and ceramic is greyish black and dull. If I remember right ceramics are not conductive so if it is possible to get probes in there you can measure the resistance. You can probably (if at all) get a view of the magnets from the end of the pickup. You can also carefully loosen the bottom assembly screws somewhat to get a better look. On the outside of the central magnet + poles there will (probably) be two plastic of wooden spacers or a set of additional magnets.

Also: Is it a two, (don’t look like that) three or four wire cable? Does it have a shielded that is soldered to the pickup base plate?

I'll check when I get in, thanks for your help!

Four wire cable, that's for sure. Perhaps the colours of the wires could help with brand identification? All I can remember at the moment is that the hot wire was white... the earth that goes to the trem claw was red/pink striped which I thought was odd.

Red/pink striped ground wire? That rules out Gibson, DiMarzio, Duncan, Fralin, Schaller, Ibanez, Lawrence and Schecter according to the book "Pickups" by Mario Milan. Who's left? Not many!