Newbie Guitar Project (yes Another One )

yeah i like it too ,ive just emailed grover and they have enformed me that it dosent mater which way around i place them they work either way so stoked can set them how ever i need to ,so will see how i decide soon ,just waiting of a few parts to continue progress,

the original guitar is a bc rich draco only 100 were made world wide 50 0f them being in the usa,

i live in australia so getting one here was going to cost me a fair bit anyway ,so diy to the rescue!!!lol

well thats if it works hahahahhaha,

have to say im enjoying this all so far and im learning alot ,so yeah keep watching

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah thanks guys im learning but really want to learn more!!!!!! may even want start doing this more often!! cant beileve i havnt tryed this before!,,

im from melbourne by the way,,

is there like an aprenticeship for this sort of thing???????? man that be an awsum job,

are you serious????/mate that would be unreal,im looking to get out of my current job and get into something that actually interests me!!!weather it be in a factory,music shop or custom guitar shop,,think that would be nuts,any ideas how id go about looking into that???/

well i could look around and get a list together of companies, pretty much most aus companies are based in melbourne because its cheaper.....you could also talk to perry aka (rhoads(some other number) i think he works in WA and im sure he would have alot better knowlegde of the industry

but i would definatly look into it if i were you..........there only a handfull of companies in sydney

heres few to get you going....im not sure were those places are but ....ya

Maton (out at box hill)

cole clark (bayswater)

personal favourite..belman(campbellfeild)

Edited by tim_ado

awsum mate cheers i know where al those places are,ill get on to it right away!

hahahah thats crazy i emailed all of them !!! cheers for that mate i had no idea these places even exsisted down here!!! wait an see how we go ,

• 2 weeks later...

so heres a small up date nothing to exciting but a few more steps closer,,

first the bridge has been fitted,its a tune o matic type with rollers ,was harder than i thought to fit thought got it worked out in the end...............

203451.jpg

Edited by evilbetty

and also i managed to get the pick up fitting,now this was a big deal as i never used a router before in my life so got to play with a new tool and found that they are quite handy aye!!!

203602.jpg

and heres the pick up its a seymour duncan invader humbucker,think it looks the part too,

r180_203538.jpg

Edited by evilbetty

also i changed my mind about the strings going thru the body so you can see the holes for them and also i just got the jack plug hole finished so a lil bit done

next im looking at how i fit the neck pick up or if indeed im going to use it????

i have a seymour duncan hot rails pick up,not sure how going to drill the hole for it as the neck dosnet come off so its sort of in the way ,also not sure how to fitt it so that it can be raised and lowered to the right setting,cause theres no outer ring thing for it,wouild i have to make a ring???

203609.jpg

It looks pretty good - nice routing for a first go

The best way to make a wire channel for the neck pickup on a through-neck is to route it into the side of the neck blank before you glue the wings on. Its a bit late for that now!!

there are other ways to do it but i reckon that guitar will look better with just one pickup anyway

cheers guys ,yeah i didnt realy know to much when i started probably would have been the smart option doing the channel first but we live an learn aye,

as for those companys only cole clarks got back to me there pretty chocked with staffa t the moment but he said to come in for an intaview maybe keep my name down ???? been a bit sick latley so cant realy do much there yet ,,,

for the cavities, you could make the control cavity in the back and then drill between the pup slot and the controls at a bit of an angle, which should work fine as one is in the front and the other in the back, thats what i ahve done in the past. only having a single pup makes things simple in that respect.

looks pretty cool so far. Its funny i actually just saw this on the bc rich site this morning when i was showing my friend the nj bich im buying. imho i think yours is better i dont like the look of the single coil in theirs. Thats pretty cool that your building that guitar its definetly gonna stand out. Good luck with the rest of your work.

looks pretty cool so far. Its funny i actually just saw this on the bc rich site this morning when i was showing my friend the nj bich im buying. imho i think yours is better i dont like the look of the single coil in theirs. Thats pretty cool that your building that guitar its definetly gonna stand out. Good luck with the rest of your work.

thanks very much for the kind comments much appreciated,as this is the first time ive ever done anything like this ,not really expecting too much like ill just be stoked if it works and i can play it,

so yeah ive decided i wont be using a neck pick up,a few reasons

1 i hardly use a neck pick when playing,

2 it would be a real pain trying to route the slot for it

3 makes the wiring even harder(i still dont really understand how it all works yet)

4 i like the look of the humbucker and the other pick up i have is a rail one so sorta looks different

any way that been decided im moving on to the next thing which was fitting a control space,ie drilling a huge hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

have to say that the router is an awsum tool!!!!!!!!! really enjoying using it,i managed to get a cavitiy drilled out just how i wanted with the router and i didnt have to even use a drill !! so was stoked about that heres a shot of what i did

174527.jpg

here i managed to drill holes from the pick up cavity into each othere cavity,ie the jack hole and the control hole and the bridge post hole,then made a small slot nect to each hole so the wires can runn in them as the pick up is fairly tight where it sits,certainly getting there now!!!!

r90_174614.jpg

then after a big sand up which i thought i had done an ok job on it but i hadnt lol

as i soon found out ,so thought id get some primer on this thing and see where we were at with it,

174656.jpg

so after several coats heres where i was up to,not that happy about it theres heaps of flaws in my sanding and little chips and furry wood bits and little holes and just stuff that looks nasty,how ever i should be able to fix it all now that i can actually see what needs done,its a bit hard to tell whenits just bare wood,

174734.jpg