Jack Hole Problems

Hi all,

got a bit carried away carving the top of my latest guitar and I've left my sel a problem with my jack plug hole.

Basically I'm looking for any help you guys can give me so that I can remedy the situation.

I had thought about a barrel type jack plug but I fear the hole itself would be too large.

jackhole1.jpg

jack hole 2

Draw around your jack and carve a recess in the side.

- draw around the plate

- use a binding bit to bring an edge in for reference depth to either side of the edge you marked out

- change the bit to a 1/4" depth template bit and bring down the channel to the bottom a 1/4" at a time

- sand it out to make it look like you meant it

I like Setch's method of using a conventional jack with an inset plug, which might work well for you here:

http://home.asparagine.net/ant/blog/?page_id=22

(look at the bottom)

Another option might be a rear mounted strat jack, like Garehanman's "Tang top"

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/theg...man/done/b1.jpg

Hi all,

got a bit carried away carving the top of my latest guitar and I've left my sel a problem with my jack plug hole.

Basically I'm looking for any help you guys can give me so that I can remedy the situation.

I had thought about a barrel type jack plug but I fear the hole itself would be too large.

It always amazes me that most people cant see whats if front of them and provide idiotic fixes. So you screwed up the top and now have a gap.

First remove the plate it's useless now. As Prostheta said mark around the plate and inset a contrasting piece of wood to fill the gap or a similar piece to the top but dont reuse the plate. make the patch look like that was your intent all along to insert that jack into a contrasting piece of wood shaped to fit your body. NO screws. hard to tell what contrasting wood to use since you show only a small section of the guitar.

Glue on some wood and carve a design over the hole.

Ugly inlay over the gap?

Good luck

Woodenspoke