2nd Finally Started

Very nice! Clean, slick, elegant work. Like the details, like matching back graft (though I prefer spruce) and neck/heel blocks.

Question: what are the linings made of?

Thanks!

The linings are the reverse basswood from stewmac.

Huh. Whodathunkit. Looks slicker than I would've expected. May have to go buy a big hunk of basswood down at the local place; the stuff's absurdly cheap, and really such a joy to plane and carve and cut (like butter). Think I paid 20 bucks for a 5 foot, 2" thick, 18" wide chunk last time. Lots of linings in there. I mean, I have plenty of cedrella lying around (because it smells nice, mostly), but there's something rather elegant about non-pourous, white-ish linings.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted the linings to match the spruce in color, and basswood seemed like a good option because it's so easy to carve you can get nice tight joints around the bracing.

Here it is with the back glued on,

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

(the color balance is wacky in these pictures, Chris isn't here to take good ones :D )

Today I think I'll get the side bracing done and prep all the bracing for the top. I'll save bracing/gluing the on top for tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pictures!

These are taken after the first coat of clear. Today I'll grain fill and tomorrow it's on to the build coats.

The cedar is much darker in real life, these pictures came out a little bit bright.

IMG_6483.jpg

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

note: the neck is not glued on, I just put it on for the pictures.

I can't wait to play it!

Elegant, simple, beautiful. Good on you mate, you must be very proud!

A quick question for you - is there a specific reason you continued the body past the neck on the cutaway side? I always think that an instrument looks better if the cutaway flows straight out the side of the neck. Saying that though a lot of makers prefer to do it the way you did! Not a criticism, just a question

Looks very nice Dan/Chris, super clean.

If it were mine, I would have approached the heel and head a bit differently - I think this would be an ideal instrument for a back veneered headstock, and I'd have tried to align the heel grain to it was closer to the neckshaft than the sides. I think with a wood like limba you need to really contrast the joinery, or make it *very* inconspicuous. As it is. I find the mismatched grain a bit of an interuptiuon to the visual 'flow'.

Still it's a minor point, and rest of the package is lovely. I really like the ebony (oops - RW!) binding, the way it contrasts with the limba, whilst tying in with the balck grain lines is great.

A quick question for you - is there a specific reason you continued the body past the neck on the cutaway side? I always think that an instrument looks better if the cutaway flows straight out the side of the neck. Saying that though a lot of makers prefer to do it the way you did! Not a criticism, just a question

Thats the way some larrviee guitars are and I really like the look of it, especially from the front (see pic4)

If it were mine, I would have approached the heel and head a bit differently - I think this would be an ideal instrument for a back veneered headstock, and I'd have tried to align the heel grain to it was closer to the neckshaft than the sides. I think with a wood like limba you need to really contrast the joinery, or make it *very* inconspicuous. As it is. I find the mismatched grain a bit of an interuptiuon to the visual 'flow'.

I totally agree with you there. When I glued the scarf/heel the blanks really looked like the grain matched better. Guess not. The next one will have a back veneer and more care will be taken to make the heel match up.

Thanks for the comments guys!

The grain fill turned out great, I used epoxy (love the stuff) and black limba is so easy to fill. After a bit of scuff sanding it will be ready to apply build coats today.

:EDIT: I just realized I don't have any pictures up of the neck joint. It's just like Myka's guitar, only I added a heel to mine for aesthetics.

Looks like I'll miss this GOTM. I'm guessing around sunday for a completion date.

There are a few sound clips up of my first acoustic recorded very soon after it was strung up. Beware that I'm the one playing and it was recorded strait into my computers soundcard using audacity so the sound quality is pretty crappy.

Click to hear

I'll be making some proper recordings of the limba guitar when it's completed.

It's been strung up for a while, I'm just waiting for the pickup to come in the mail before I put some decent strings on it and take pictures.

It sounds great so far and looks amazing. This guitar is so light it's great.

Good news. I really can't wait to see the pictures!

It's been strung up for a while, I'm just waiting for the pickup to come in the mail before I put some decent strings on it and take pictures.

It sounds great so far and looks amazing. This guitar is so light it's great.

Good news. I really can't wait to see the pictures!

I want some unplugged MP3s here.

What kind of amp do you use?

At first I had the grover full size tuners on, but because the guitar is so light with the tuners weighing in at 280 grams each they made it very neck heavy. So I had to order a set of schaller mini tuners that are 170 grams each. That makes it balance perfectly. I ordered a piezo/mic blender system from K&K pickups. Should be here tuesday.

The pickup came in yesterday so the guitar is completely done.

It sounds freakishly good, that pickup makes it sound like itself, only louder. I used the trinity system from K&K pickups (the soundboard transducer/mic combo) I have to work today, so pictures will be up sometime tomorrow.