Building My Oak Sg

hey guys this is my first real build and i thought i would post some pics of it its a oak sg and its going to have two dimarzios a teunomatic bridge with one of those v tailpices like they have on deans and a bolt on neck from a dean vendetta xm (guitars body caved in because of cheap wood i salvaged the neck though) Hope you guys like it. oaksg.jpg

pic 2 (test fit)

pic 3 (test fit without drawings)

Edited by gibsonsg26

thanks i started to raise the grain today so when my templates come i can route then stain i had to block a neck pocket i routed but its not really visible so it should be fine the pocket had only gotten a 1//16th of an inch in before i realised it was wrong so not much work left.

sgwet.jpg

Edited by gibsonsg26

i actually used it because it was free lol i found it in my papas basement the wood is older then me its been down there for over 30 years it was leftover from some cabinents him and my dad made when he was a carpenter. hopefully it will come out good thanks for helping me identify what type of oak it was.

thats what i thought to. i just got set back another week because i couldnt find the bits i needed at the stores around me i ended up ordering them from stew mac and paying way more than i needed to :D

Aren't they overpriced? It drives me crazy! I'm in northeast Ohio and I hope to pick up some stuff from them in person on the way to DC (skip the shipping). They have a lot of great stuff, and they're helpful. But I signed up for their "trade newsletter", and it's basically one big ad cycling through the stuff in their catalog. I just delete it now... but they have great service, etc., more positive than negative.

i love and hate ordering from StewMac. They have so much good stuff that i need but your order has to be above $30. I really don't order much money cause I don't have much of a source of income. Also i'm making a guitar out of oak also because it was totally free. My piece is really heavy so i have to chamber. Good luck, i'll be comparing my work to yours :D

Edited by Mr. Preston Swift

thats good i was hoping to hear others were using oak the first thing my guitar techer said when i told him it was oak was i was gonna have to start lifiting weights but i lucked out becuase seing as its an sg it is only an 1 1/4" not an 1 3/4" that extra half an inch really adds some weight so mine doesnt need any weight reliefe.

thats what i thought to. i just got set back another week because i couldnt find the bits i needed at the stores around me i ended up ordering them from stew mac and paying way more than i needed to :D

Aren't they overpriced? It drives me crazy! I'm in northeast Ohio and I hope to pick up some stuff from them in person on the way to DC (skip the shipping). They have a lot of great stuff, and they're helpful. But I signed up for their "trade newsletter", and it's basically one big ad cycling through the stuff in their catalog. I just delete it now... but they have great service, etc., more positive than negative.

ya but the way I saw it was it was easyer to get it from them seeing as their all about guitar tools instead of tracking down stuff at lowes i wont buy stupid stuff from them because they are way overpriced but for router bits and stuff like that i will i like there templates too big time saver lol.

put on the neck today i ended up gluing in the bolt on neck and i know this is normaly a no no but i thought it would be best seeing that the body is so slim im going to bolt it on but this was for added strength. Is that a good idea or am i screwed?

sgcomplete.jpg

Edited by gibsonsg26

heres some of the finishes ive been thinking about i havent really decided yet.

The purple looks cool. If you choose the green, I would try to make it more intense. Maybe it's the lighting/screen/etc., but the green shade just looks "dull" on that oak.