Esp Explorer Measures

hi, im kinda new here, i was wondering if someone could give me the measures (lenght depth, etc etc) of an ESP EXPLORER guitar... like hetfied's one... or a KEN LAWRENCE specs... i've searched the web and didn't find blueprints of this guitar at all... im really frustrated, could anyone help me on this one????

tranks in advance...

They're not too dissimilar to the Gibson Explorer specs really (I have an ESP and an Edwards Explorer) so I would go down those lines of pursuit....unless there is something in those relatively minor differences that you would want to exploit? The back wing on the ESP is more in line with the bottom horn angle which streamlines it a bit more, but otherwise the build procedure is the same really.

Depth of body? 37mm

Bottom horn aligns with 13th fret

Neck widens into the body at 19th fret

Heel swells from gradually from 13th and terminates between 17th and 18th at about 40°

Neck tenon is around 39-40mm wide into the neck pickup cavity terminating about 5mm from the back of the cavity.

Otherwise, it's pretty much as a Gibson Explorer but I don't have one here to compare at the moment :-D

thaks so much... i really apreciate your response. im building my own explorer with a luthier friend; and i wanted to get my hands around the real measures of an ESP explorer and maybe modify it a bit, cuz mine will be havin 24 frets instead of 22, and some other details...

again... THANK A LOT!!!!!

A 24-fret instrument will require the bridge being moved forward or the scale length changing....the fret access isn't too hot on Explorers above 19th! Changing the scale from 24.75" to 25.5" AND moving the bridge can be a decent compromise I guess, but your instrument balance will become worse than Explorers are already in standard trim, plus you probably still won't reach the 24th! :-D

Gotcha. I don't like those :D hahaha

I'm thinking that, aside from the convex curve at the butt of the guitar and SHAMEFUL fret access, the two should be pretty similar, no? I don't have an old-style or Gibson to reference, but my plans were pretty accurate...

http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/Explorer.htm

That's also an option. It'll give you all the information you need, for $10.

Excellent link. I believe the ESP MX-250 shape (original Gibson "Metallica" Explorer) is marginally different and went through a few changes but not anything out of the ballpark by any means.

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read...lcon_eetfuk.htm

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read...06alcon_exp.htm

As you can see, the original design is a little less "sleek".

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read..._rx_mx250ii.htm

• 2 weeks later...

again... thanks soooooo much for this posts; ad i might add that i was referin to the metalica explorer (or the ken lawrence in deffect); i still couldn find the exact measurements of the ESP EXP mx250, does somebody has them???. and another cuestion... will it be possible to print an image of an EXP in REAL SIZE and copy the body from there...???? do you advice it???

cheers

I guess you could, but you'd have to put a lot of work into the finessing of the shape. I would use a CAD file printed out 1:1 over many sheets of A4 with reference marks, glue them over MDF and spend time making a good template. That means using a router or robosander against a straightedge to achieve the straight lines, and carefully making the corners either by hand or using washers (without milled edges) epoxied together as "round corner templates" etc. All part of the process of learning and making solutions out of whatever is to hand. The other option would be to buy a template (they tend to be Gibson shape Explorers however) or get one laser cut from a CAD plan.

I could probably make a decent amount of cash to support my guitar habit by selling EXP templates! :-D