Pickup Replacement Needed!

Erotomaniac

Hey people , im kinda new , some of my friends has directed me to this forum .

so in anyway , in couple of days i'm ordering my first humbucking pickup for the bridge position

I am currently owning an Ibanez Prestige 1570

its an humbucker - single - humbucker guitar.

the Pickup i am ordering would be DiMarzio D-Sonic.

in anyway , thats my first time changing the pickups ,

so I would need major help here

could any of you people explain me how do i change them ? in a detailed and easy words?

I mean , like what i need to use , how-to-do , step by step and pictures

or if you have that kind of guide that would be perfect

by the way what do you think about this pickup ? :D

thanks for the help and good day,

nick :D

clicky

*watch the gibson video

make note of which wire is lead and which is ground. an easy way to tell is to to look at the wires from the pickup and look at which one connects directly to either the 1st or 2nd lug of the volume pot (lead) and which wire is soldered to the outside of the pot (ground).

if 2 wires are soldered together then that would be your 'north finish and south finish' according to guitarelectronics.com

the only way you can be 100% sure is to use a multimeter. the video in the link shows how to use one.

good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys!

now , i just wanna ask about the pontiometers

what's the difference betweek a 500k and a 250k

and what the push pull thing is actualy doin'?

by the way , about the links , the seymour duncan movie did help abit and give me a brighter sight on the whole thing

but... i still have an Ibanez , so its alittle bit different and it has 2 hums and 1 single so...i dont really know how to mess with it

there also seems to be like 3 wires in each pickup if im right

there is a black one , red one , and one that is kinda more spoiled and connected to others which is silver...

and i have no idea how to use it , and with what , and where and which .

i basically just want to give it to a professional folk , but...problem is , i dont have any of these here... so i guess i will have to mess with it on my own ...

but i dont have any of these tools , i barely know how they are called XD

thanks alot again , nick

now , i just wanna ask about the pontiometers

what's the difference betweek a 500k and a 250k

Google my friend. In short, you can use either value with any pickup, 500K will give you a warmer tone, and 250K a brighter tone.

and what the push pull thing is actualy doin'?

Anything you want my friend. You could use it for a series/parrallel switching, coil tap, hell you could use it for a killswitch. Guitarelectronics.com will show you alot of options.

by the way , about the links , the seymour duncan movie did help abit and give me a brighter sight on the whole thing

but... i still have an Ibanez , so its alittle bit different and it has 2 hums and 1 single so...i dont really know how to mess with it

there also seems to be like 3 wires in each pickup if im right

there is a black one , red one , and one that is kinda more spoiled and connected to others which is silver...

and i have no idea how to use it , and with what , and where and which .

The two wires connected together would be North Finish and South Finish acording to guitarelectronics. They have a wiring diagram for you under the '3 pickup diagrams'.

Any more information you could find out using the Search.

Hope this helps!

Edited by axxion

250K will actually give you a darker sound, that is why they tend to be used w/ single coils which are generally brighter than humbuckers (which use 500K). When in doubt, I say you can't go wrong w/ 500K though honestly I've used the "wrong" value a couple times and never really found it problematical tone-wise.