Making Fretboard

Find some pipe which has the radius you need. Stick some sandpaper on it and sand a block of wood. Maybe a neck with the correct radius can do the same job of holding the sandpaper. I read some very creative ways of making radius blocks in the forum, you better search around. I am a newb too, and if you are serious about building a neck, you won't regret buying one from StewMac, imho.

Cheers.

Edited by Motorbreath

Please get a copy of this book, it will provide you with mountains of information on all the aspects of electric guitar building:

http://www.gettextbooks.com/search/?isbn=9780953104901

Anyway, fretboard making is a pretty basic procedure, you just need the proper tools. You will need a radius block. You can indeed make your own blocks if you have the tools:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/radius.htm

Honestly, unless you have all the materials and tools handy, you might as well buy them.

BTW, you posted in the wrong section.

CMA

Why mess around with a router to make radius blocks? Is there a hot water tank in your house? The tank in my house is 20 " across ie. 10" radius. All I gotta do is stick a piece of sandpaper to it, grab a block of wood and start sanding, a few minutes later I will have a 10" radius block, close enough for making a strat fretboard (usually 9.5" radius). There are all kinds of curved surfaces on this earth that can be used to make radius blocks, just use your imagination.

Edited by Southpa