Flat (non Gloss) Finish For Purpleheart.

I am making a body out of purpleheart and am wanting something flat that's gonna air seal it so that it wont turn. (Btw, it is oxygen sensitive not photo sensitive.)

I have a Carvin thru-neck that I'm making this for and the body of it is unfinished and I'm wanting something flat that look alright with the unfinished maple.

I am making a body out of purpleheart and am wanting something flat that's gonna air seal it so that it wont turn. (Btw, it is oxygen sensitive not photo sensitive.)

I have a Carvin thru-neck that I'm making this for and the body of it is unfinished and I'm wanting something flat that look alright with the unfinished maple.

In doing some reading I have found that its true that it is oxygen sensitive, but this mainly occurs just after the cutting of the tree at which time it goes from a very ugly color to a bright purple. From that point UV light degrades the color no longer does oxygen, at least not to the amount that UV light does. Many of the people that cut it down and work with it say try covering it with Armor All before laquering. Also said spirit finished will pull the color out and that sometimes the color can bleed into the finish. But again most people and sites suggest using armor all to retain the color. Anyhow, thats just what I have found both now and when I bought some a while back. Best of luck. J