Fretting Sequence With Neck Jig

I am going to do my first fret job on a guitar I am building. I am building a neck jig clone and a fret miter box. First is familiar to most or all of you. Second is the first generation one by Luthiers Merch. So the questions.

Do I have the right sequence for fretting and dressing? This is a bolt on neck for a P Bass

Radius sand the fretboard

Cut the fret slots...I and using matching curved guides for the fret saw...ie 7.25"..I am thinking I should do this to not show overly deep fret slots

Taper the board

Using guide pins glue the board

Press in frets..I have an arbor press and a fret caul from Stew Mac

Cut and install the nut

Mount the neck on a psuedo body on the neck jig

String and tune

Adjust the truss rod for correct relief....Numbers anyone??

Restring and retune...

Adjust jig for this position

Level the frets using a fret rocker

Destring and detension neck from jig

Recrown tops and dress ends of frets

Polish frets

Admire a job well done with at least one cold one

Also can anyone help me with a color question. I am using swamp/southern ash for the body and need a sorta formula to tint the finish to Fender Butterscotch Blonde. I am going to use Trans Tint Vintage Amber and Red Mahogany to start and located a Fender PBass in Butterscotch I can match. I will be using epoxy silica filler. Then either a couple coats of KTM-9 and the one or more coats of alcohol/tint and another clear coat. If needed more alcohol/tint and the rest of the clear coats to get the prescribed 10 coats. Or I may just tint the first couple coats. Suggestions???

I will be getting the KTM-9 next week and have a bunch of scrap Swamp Ash to try.

Thanks for any help...

Robert

Adjust the truss rod for correct relief....Numbers anyone??

Restring and retune...

Usually you adjust the neck as straight as possible.

No need to restring, because you should have left the strings on. Maybe you meant * retune*. Yes, you would retune.

Neck Jig video is only $5.00 (contains at least $25.00 worth of info, and gives a fairly good run-down of the steps Dan goes through with a neck-jig fret job)

I find some things I disagree with. The fret rocker is not for levelling the frets. It’s for finding uneven frets. I use a looong aluminium beam with 320 grit wetndry attached to it. And the order of fret slot cutting/tapering/radius is a personal thing and you will get different answers from everyone here.

This is the order I do things:

Radius sand the fretboard

Cut the fret slots

Taper the board

Glue the board

Press in frets.

Cut of frets extending out of the fret slots.

File fluch with side of fret board

File a 30 degree angle (or your choice) to the fret crowns.

Rough-cut and install the nut

Mount the neck on a pseudo body on the neck jig

String and tune

Adjust the truss rod for a dead flat fretboard measuring the board and not the fret tops.

Tune

Final adjustments of the nut slot depths

Tune

Take notes on all measurements on the dial(s)

De-string

Adjust jig to the recorded measurements

Check that board is still straight

Level the frets using your chosen method

Recrown tops and dress ends of frets

Polish frets

String

Play and enjoy (and have one for me too)

Don’t think I have missed something (but I probably have)

And Soapbar is right about the video. Money well spent.

For me a critical moment is after the fretboard is tapered, radiused, and attached to the neck. Set the neck dead straight at this point and get the freboard surface DEAD ON. Your frets when properly seated will be extreamly close to dead level if you get that freboard correct, and clean your slots well. If you take a few minutes and extra care at this point you will be miles ahead and will require very little leveling adjustments(or seating adjustments). Frets seat on the fretboard, and given your fretwire is made accurately you will need no further adjustment to level the frets(how well you seat the frets and level the board is key). The perfect fret job would require no leveling period(or the absolute minimum), you can gauge how good you are getting by how much leveling you do..

Peace,Rich