Newb With A Project

Gday PG, nice to be a part of the site. I'm new to basically everything in the way of creating a guitar, but I've been teaching myself electric for 3 years or so. I'm 17, and I embarked on a project a few weeks ago for school/art. got 1000 x 300 x 50 of african mahogany. I've cut the pieces to length and width, and I've got them sitting in the woodwork room ready to go, but I don't know what to use to join the two pieces. The second piece is an offset piece, by which the neck mounts to the solid piece, not on the join line.

anyway, I've got a few questions for you:

How am I getting the matching edges perfectly even and flat?

What bonding adhesive should I use?

What is involved with painting i.e. materials, alternatives, custom designs (I want lots and lots and lots of smiley faces)?

I've got more, but I'll add them later, as well as my buy list from Stewart MacDonalds :D

Thanks guys,

Jason.

P.S. I'm in Australia.

Your woodwork room should have a jointer, use that for the edges. Get some titebond original and use that as your adhesive. I'm not sure where you are but in SA, i get my glues from Mik International.

Old-as-hell Jolly plane.

Will that do?

:D

I'll have a squiz down at the local come monday-time. In a country town too, so that doesn't help I'm guessing. took 6 weeks just for my plank to arrive... from PERTH. any info on painting apart from "use lacquer"?

Buy this book from stewmac. That will teach you the basics.