Dying Maple Fretboard Streaks?

Hey, Theres a nice MTD bass I am thinking of picking up, has a nice clear maple fretboard, but at one spot theres this streak thats dark, looks almost like a crack at first sight but guy says its not damaged, and hes going to send me better pics.. but just curious, is there any way to dye something like that to mix in better with the rest of the fretboard? For clean maple..

Thanks

Hey, Theres a nice MTD bass I am thinking of picking up, has a nice clear maple fretboard, but at one spot theres this streak thats dark, looks almost like a crack at first sight but guy says its not damaged, and hes going to send me better pics.. but just curious, is there any way to dye something like that to mix in better with the rest of the fretboard? For clean maple..

Thanks

A pic would help. but unless you plan on staining the board darker, most likely not. It is most likely a mineral stain which can range from just very dark to black, maybe a worm stain, (bluishish to purple, ambrosia) , fungus (spalting) or just some heartwood. more amber to brown. Let's see a pic and go from there? if heartwood you MAY ??? be able to bleach it, but that is questionable as well. ( i've never seen it match quite right)

m

Edited by MiKro

Ok, heres the pic, couldnt get a closer-up one unfortunately, but eh.. It just looks so dark at that one fret and its a line, kinda takes away from the beauty of a blank maple board..

mtd1.jpg

Looks like a minor mineral streak to me. But not sure?. It won't bleach if it is.

MK