P-90 Advice?

CleverPun

I am starting to make an SG Junior, with just the 1 bridge P-90, and I was wondering what you guys thought was the best kind of P-90. You all have experience, and plenty of opinion, so let me have it: What is the best?

My musical preferences (I don't want to sound like a specific artist, but it gives you an idea of sounds that I like):

U2

Green Day

Stone Temple Pilots

Velvet Revolver

The Arctic Monkeys

Matchbox Twenty

The Black Keys

Elvis Presley

Elvis Costello

The White Stripes

The Beatles

The Strokes

The Police

and more...

Basically what I'm saying is that's the stuff I prefer, and I do not like metal AT ALL.

So anyways, what would be the best for me?

I am starting to make an SG Junior, with just the 1 bridge P-90, and I was wondering what you guys thought was the best kind of P-90. You all have experience, and plenty of opinion, so let me have it: What is the best?

I love P90s too !!

I have found that the original Gibson P90s (the modern ones) are quite good for general use, and specially on the neck position. Duncan SP90-1 would be pretty similar to these. Alnico 5, 8K range.

But for the bridge position I prefer something with more wire in it. And that is what I would suggest for a Jr. type instrument. The BK P93 seem to be in the ballpark. I haven't tried them, but their humbuckers are really good. I have been told that Lollars are a little too well behaved, which is not what I would want in a P90.

These days I'm using P90s in two of my guitars (SG Standard converted, and BlackBeauty 54RI): for the neck positions I use the stock Gibson, and for the bridge position I had some made to my specs (10K, A5) by an independent winder, member of The Les Paul Forum, by the nick Zhangliqun. These P90s he made for me are all that I wanted and more, and they are ver affordable.

I would suggest that you look him up there. Don't be fooled by the low prices, he winds GREAT pickups.

Edited by Blackdog

I love P90s too !!

I have found that the original Gibson P90s (the modern ones) are quite good for general use, and specially on the neck position. Duncan SP90-1 would be pretty similar to these. Alnico 5, 8K range.

But for the bridge position I prefer something with more wire in it. And that is what I would suggest for a Jr. type instrument. The BK P93 seem to be in the ballpark. I haven't tried them, but their humbuckers are really good. I have been told that Lollars are a little too well behaved, which is not what I would want in a P90.

These days I'm using P90s in two of my guitars (SG Standard converted, and BlackBeauty 54RI): for the neck positions I use the stock Gibson, and for the bridge position I had some made to my specs (10K, A5) by an independent winder, member of The Les Paul Forum, by the nick Zhangliqun. These P90s he made for me are all that I wanted and more, and they are ver affordable.

I would suggest that you look him up there. Don't be fooled by the low prices, he winds GREAT pickups.

I'll check him out. More forums to register for! Oh joy!

• 3 weeks later...