Neck Angle Questions

I'm going to cut my neck angle into the neck instead of the pocket, how do you cut the pocket and the neck tenon? I've considered a router, but I don't have a template. And a band saw, but would that be exact enough? What would you do?

Secondly, what if my angle was calculated wrong? Would it kill if I was a degree off? If I wasn't sure, should I be over or under on the angle?

Edited by FlashBandit

I'm bulding a set neck guitar right now.

For the neck pocket, I'll drill out the bulk of the material with a Forstner but, then route the final shape with a template I'll make from straightedges laid against the neck sides and then clamped into place.

For the neck, I used a router and a template (I used a band saw to rough cut a birch ply template, then cut the straight edges with a straightedge and a template bit and sanded the rounded corners for the end of the neck).

Edit: Also, read the tutorial here if you haven't...excellent information.

So if I wasn't positive on my neck angle, should I make it a degree bigger or smaller? I ask because if you go bigger, you can raise the bridge to compensate, but if you go lower, what then?

Also, how close do I need to be in my angle measurements. Because of inferior tolls and other complications, I may not be able to be exact, any tips? It's a set neck. THANKS in advance

Make it exactly what it needs to be, no more, no less. Neck angles vary between zero and about 3.5 degrees, on average, and there's a big difference if you go plus or minus 1 degree. Too little angle is worse than a little much, because you'd need to sink the bridge into the top to get the action right, but just get it right.

I found this online neck angle calculator that told me I need an 8 degree anlge on my neck, which I seriously doubt. It's not a prank, and math can't be wrong so I'm assuming that my inputs were wrong, so I'm curious of a few measurements from other guitars.

What is the height of a carve on a normal carved guitar, like a LP? Mine is around 3/4" I think, but could that be right (too much)?

What is the distance from the top of the carve to the furthest point on the bridge for a TOM on a LP?

I seriously can't thank you enough, I'm cutting up the neck tomorrow. THANKS!

woah there buddy!

you're cutting up the neck tomorrow?...but you still don't know what angle. This topic crops up every few months & the answer is always the same...

DRAW EVERYTHING FULL SIZE

If it doesn't work on paper then it won't work in real life.

If you're set on building first & working out what's wrong after then use something cheap that burns well because you'll be glad of it when the weather turns cold.