Heretic Scarab!

Hey,

I'm new to this forum. My friend and I have been building a guitar for about 2 months now.

It is a design of His very own (we think)

the specs are:

2 piece alder body

SG style bevels (top and bottom)

Maple neck

Ebony fret board

Floyd rose

EMG HZ-H4 (neck)

Screamin Demon (bridge)

(well i guess these are finished spec)

pron:

IMG_0023.jpg

That my friend not me (only good picture of the body)

i also had someone photoshop it but not in the color scheme we want it

ScarabSig.jpg

So what's your opinion on the guitar??

Any mistakes we made?

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah what you see in the picture is how far we are now (lol)

Thank you

Jordan

Edited by XvXBigPappaXvX

For a "pointy" guitar, I think it looks pretty cool. The body shape is very well proportioned I think (looks better in the photo than in the Photoshop image).

I wonder about your neck joint. It must be bolt-on, because there's nothing to glue against. But you don't have any support on the sides of the neck at the joint. I have a guitar with bolt-on neck and one side isn't supported. If you get rough with it, you can hear the pitch change a little as the neck either bends or moves at the joint.

my concern is how much distance is there between the tip of the lower horn and the neck? it looks close, and i know first hand that it will be a pain to play(almost literally) if the horn is too close.

We recut the lower horn about 2 weeks ago.

So problem solved it is just a little shorter. But it solved the problem

Next we are gunna bevel it.

But we have a problem......We need to find a 23 degree beveling bit with a 1/4 in or 1/2 shank.

Anyone know where to find one??

hey guys, it's dj from the asylum - i've been looking at that pic for months! any new updates?

that white photoshop looks killer - if you're not using that, what do you plan to do with it?

White is one over our choices.

We are prolly gunna do Silver body with black bevels, and reverse on the back side.

the only problem with the photoshop is the fret board, it should be darker.

Hey look its me holding the guitar...lol

Nice to see you here Dj, haven't seen you at the Asylum in a little while.

And Thanks for the link to the bit site Geo!

I'm Ben and XvX is my friend Jordan. I'm the designer of the guitar and he's the funder...lol I'm poor because I buy cars, guitars, and parts for both....lol :D

If any of you have any advice on how to build a guitar from almost scratch we're willing to listen!!! LOL

Thanks!

Ben

I'm Ben and XvX is my friend Jordan. I'm the designer of the guitar and he's the funder...lol I'm poor because I buy cars, guitars, and parts for both....lol :D

If any of you have any advice on how to build a guitar from almost scratch we're willing to listen!!! LOL

Thanks!

Ben

Please we need advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What specific advice? This whole forum us chock-full of advice, plus the tutorials at projectguitar.com -- not to mention other resources in print and on the net! The best usage of a forum is to search and read, and then when you get stuck, ask specific questions.

Best of luck! I like your design. :D

Thanks!

Ben

yeah i'm back up at school now. you guys should look at all the tutorials on pg.com and use the search here - there is an INSANE amount of info here. you guys are already leaps and bounds ahead of me as far as starting a guitar goes so now all there is to it is to get down to business and do it up.

do you have any plans for the neck?

BUMPPPP!!!!!

Ok

I have one question which the tutorials dont answer (to my knowledge)

Due to the very small angles at the point of our guitar we are goin to have a hard time Beveling it.

We were told to start with a 45 bevel bit the slowly dig deeper but dont go close to the points, then hand sand the bevels to 60 degrees and also do the points.

Any easier ways of doing it without destroying the body???

Are you going for consistent bevels all the way around the body? If so, it's going to be a little tricky adjusting that 45 degree angle to a 60. But if you're looking to make it deeper in select areas (waist area, leg rest area etc.) route to the depth you want with the 45 degree bit and then trace the areas where you want to make it a little deeper. You can use a fine rasp, a microplane, or plain ol' sandpaper+ a hard rubber block to make it deeper in the select areas.